The effect of the just-released Supreme Court decision is to give gays equal rights under the law, effectively undermining DOMA. 

They cited the Equal Protection clause, so this wasn't decided on a states rights basis. It has the effect of Federal law. 

Now, gays can apply for benefits which had been limited to heterosexual couples under DOMA. 

DOMA is gone!

Tags: Court, DOMA, Federal, Supreme, gays, law

Views: 632

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This video clip best expresses how I feel right now about DOMA and Prop 8 getting crushed in Supreme Court except the final line would end with "...lamentation of the religious crackpots."

Ahaha! Oh, I love that movie.

WE FUCKING WON!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife and I are overwhelmed.  This has such a significant impact on us personally.  I'm here on a work permit that expires next July (2014).  We had no idea how we would go forward after that - renewal of work permits is arbitrary at best.  Now there's no getting rid of me!

WOOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!

Congratulations to you, your wife and your family, Strega!

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy Strega congrats!

Given that their previous rulings this term have had a conservative tinge, I really had my doubts it'd go this way. However, I'm glad for you and all gays.

They're talking about a similar situation right now on MSNBC.

It's like you are in the news..., but not really.

Happily, many of us here would never find our motivation to put you and yours on the next plane back. 'getting rid of me!' No time soon I expect!  

Not even a day into the ruling and already the fallout begins. Passionate, productive people coming into the country and infecting it with loving relationships. WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END?!?!?!?!?!?!

Er, I mean congrats!

I talked with my mother about this this morning. She seemed all upset about people kissing each other in public! What scandal!

I suggested I would exchange violence and public meanness for kissing any day! No I am just not that way...;p)

I'm shocked when I see a bare ankle.

LOL just kidding. Things change and it's nice to see some good changes.

They've also killed Prop 8! The walls have crashed down in California: full marriage equality in that state!

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service