Although I've always wanted this particular superhuman power, I've never been very good at detecting other men's sexual orientation. Findings from a recent study published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, however, suggest I may be underestimating my gaydar abilities.

The January 2008 study investigated people's ability to identify homosexual men from pictures of their faces alone. In an initial experiment, researchers Nicholas Rule and Nalini Ambady from Tufts University perused online dating sites and carefully selected 45 straight male faces and 45 gay male faces. All of these photos were matched for orientation (only faces shown looking forward were used) and facial alterations (none of the images contained jewelry, glasses or facial hair). To control for context, the faces were also cut and pasted onto a white background for the study. These 90 faces were then shown to 90 participants in random order, who were asked simply to judge the target's "probable sexual orientation" (gay or straight) by pressing a button. Surprisingly, all participants (both men and women) scored above chance on this gaydar task, correctly identifying the gay faces. Even more surprisingly, accuracy rate was just as good when the images were exposed at a rapid rate of only 50 milliseconds, which offered participants no opportunity to consciously process the photo. (read Scientific American article)

Tags: gay, gaydar, orientation, sexual

Views: 816

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lesbiometrics scanner?

Lezdar?

So are you saying that being gay is a mental illness?

So are you saying that being gay is a mental illness?

It's more trouble atm for me to find the parent post to your response, so I'll just point out something I've noticed in all posts, so far: I didn't notice anyone saying something like that.

I used to date an actress who was revered in the gay community. As a result when we would go out to parties I would occasionally find myself as the only straight man in the room with 50 gay men.

The article is correct in that you could probably be doing better than average to spot quote unquote gay face. Just because there are a few who are very obvious.

My gaydar is a triangulation system where someone has to meet at least three criteria before I think they are gay or not. Amongst the criteria that I use are:

Occupation like flight attendant, hair stylist, fashion industry

History of attending seminary school

Use of unabbreviated name. i.e. call me Michael not Mike, Joseph not Joe etc.

Flamboyant gesturing

Confidence and compassion, also tolerance

Keen sense of style

Nice furniture because they didn't have kids

If someone meets three of these criteria, (there are a few others) I would identify them as gay. Its not foolproof, but pretty accurate.

Ha, seminary school... I hadn't noticed that one. Interesting. The other stereotypes I agree with. (I don't mean "stereotypes" in its negative sense.)

I'd add, a kind of sensitivity to emotional issues, which can sometimes be too sensitive or dramatic. Also add female-ish language and lisping.

The seminary school criteria is real. Gay men growing up in xtian households tend to struggle with their sexuality since it is so stigmatized. They try to find solace in attempting to become asexual. It tends not to work out since they are fighting against their own natural impulses.

There are certain professions seemingly tending to attract at least the more effeminate gays: ballet dancers aside, you have hair dressers, interior decorators, wedding planners, and a few others.

I work in behavioral health.  I've seen, way too often, people going into a downward spiral solely due to struggling with their sexual orientation or being persecuted because of their sexual orientation.  Personally, I find it deplorable.  I've been put in situations where I was the only person advocating for someone who's only "crime" was not being hetero.  The lgbt+ community has the highest rates (among young people) of suicide, drug use and communicable disease compared to any other demographic of that age group and it's all due to bigotry.  Again, I find that deplorable.  To quote an old wise man "two girls, two rocks, two potatoes...who cares?  As long as they love each other."

I think you may be misinterpreting the openness of discussion on sensitive issues here at TA. I've seen a few genuine jerks here say hateful or prejudicial things, but not so far in this thread.

Taking what you're saying, and seeing your experience, I'll bet we're all on the same page as far as empathy for marginalized people. Are your co-workers discouraged from talking this openly?

Of course you can! You can spot whether you're gay yourself by looking at photos of hot men.

lol, kOrsan. To see the world through your eyes...

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 94 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service