If I were God, I'd know the entire history of the universe forever, future as well as past, I'd also know in advance every one of my own acts.

Oh, but wait, there's a dilemma there, isn't there?

Either God is bound by his future acts and has no free will, or he isn't omniscient at all because he doesn't know the future.

I call this The Problem of Omniscience.

Views: 1895

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

God can never exercise free will because past, present, and future all coexist and are immutable. Simple as that.

Of course this sort of argument isn't falsifiable empirically, but that's because the claims of omniscience and omnipotence aren't empirical to start with. They are definitional.

Anyone familiar with logic understands how logical arguments are falsified: you derive a contradiction from the terms of the argument.

That's exactly what I did.

"are immutable. Simple as that."  - but if you're God, you can change the past, present and future. 

Doing so is logically impossible given the meanings of omniscience and omnipotence. Not without resulting in a contradiction, which in logic is a disproof.

Why's that? 

You're seriously asking why generating a contradiction functions as a disproof in logic?

You must mean something else. What is it?

Why could God not change the course of history, given that He is both omnipotent and omniscient? 

Because then his omniscience would have been wrong about something.

I agree with Simon:  We can posit that god can see all possible futures for all possible choices, and simply makes a choice.  Just as when you might decide to put an egg in the fridge instead of dropping it, knowing the future consequences of both choices.

I think that if you have a god making choices that means he is not all powerful..

...but if he does interact with earthy things, he sure likes the standard probability bell curve. Lazy bastard.

Agreeing with Simon doesn't make you right. 

If God sees the future and the choices he will make, then he is bound by them or else what he "knew" about the future was false. But if he was wrong about the future, he's not really terribly omniscient, is he?

One might argue that, "God exercised free will when he made the universe, set it in motion, and saw each and every consequence following from that initial state." However, that done his free will phase is over and the problem of the incompatible relationship between his omniscience and his omnipotence comes into play.

But surely He would be choosing from all possible courses of history (from that point on), and would know them all. 

And would know that at that point, was going to change from one to another. 

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service