Nietzsche writes in Beyond God and Evil of the 'new philosophers' future atheists who will reject all metaphysical notions, commanders and lawgivers who will live outside the herd concept of morality and have the strength, the will to power, to create their own values.

These new philosophers will say yes to life, yes even to the idea of eternal return because their experiments, their values will justify all of human existence.

With such ideas Nietzsche allows us to ask an amazing question, perhaps the most important question ever asked. The question is this: what undertaking might these new philosophers fabricate for mankind? What non-metaphysical project might these new philosophers give to mankind?

Remember the project would have to be so grand it would retrospectively make the entire history of human suffering worth it.

To put it another way: What shall we do for the next 10,000 years?

Answers on a postcard.

Tags: Nietzsche, art, ethics, philosophy

Views: 878

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that would depend on what you mean by "authority". If you mean "expert" then sure, I'm of a mind that expertise should be passed on.

Yep.

I thought it was: "Beyond Good and Evil."

To boldly go where no man has gone before.  Hang on, haven't I heard that before somewhere?

Make all world leaders smoke two joints before lunch everyday, that should put an end to war.

They can use a vaporizor or eat some brownies if they don't want the smoke. But that would work.

A prof. suggest once that before any world conference, that all 'leaders' get a full body massage. He figured that if everyone feels 'fine', they just might give up on the constant posturing.

Rebuild this planet, returning it to the 'garden', having taken hold of our human resposibility to clean our mess up! I figure maybe 1200 years tops....

We are lousy tenents for sure.

As George Carlin said: "Hey man, get your shit away from my stuff!"

We are a very self-centric species, IMHO we will use it all up and leave nothing for the poor space aliens who are coming to colonize the planet...poor dumb bastards. :D

Ever wonder what species isn't self-centric?

Hmmm....since self-centric is key to survival, should it be considered omnipresent in all species?

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service