Nietzsche writes in Beyond God and Evil of the 'new philosophers' future atheists who will reject all metaphysical notions, commanders and lawgivers who will live outside the herd concept of morality and have the strength, the will to power, to create their own values.

These new philosophers will say yes to life, yes even to the idea of eternal return because their experiments, their values will justify all of human existence.

With such ideas Nietzsche allows us to ask an amazing question, perhaps the most important question ever asked. The question is this: what undertaking might these new philosophers fabricate for mankind? What non-metaphysical project might these new philosophers give to mankind?

Remember the project would have to be so grand it would retrospectively make the entire history of human suffering worth it.

To put it another way: What shall we do for the next 10,000 years?

Answers on a postcard.

Tags: Nietzsche, art, ethics, philosophy

Views: 885

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Apple without Steve Jobs is on the decline. Android phones are mopping the floor with iPhones and Apple computers are no better or better-built than equivalent machines running Windows 7 or 8. And PC's are open system, meaning that no manufacturer is looking over your shoulder to tell you what you can and can't have.

I'd be taking my Apple stock profits if I were you. Apple is running out of mind-blowing ideas. Jobs was irreplaceable.

Pepsi or Coke?

Water.

Apple or Android?

Ubuntu. At last.

YES! The key phrase:

"The devices will feature most of the bells and whistles of traditional smartphones, but will function as a full PC when docked to a monitor, keyboard and mouse"

What shall we do for the next 10,000 years?

Agriculture to end world hunger. Utopian communist society to end war and violence. Continue scientific study. Basically, if the goal isn't to reduce and abolish the bad in the world, what's the point?

So, you believe life has a point (purpose)? You're a teleologist.*

The next step is for you to prove the teleological view of life is true.

* Teleology=a belief system according to which final causes (goals, purposes, ends) exist, not in man's mind but embedded in or ascribed to reality itself, normally requiring a supermind of some sort, such as God.

1. To realize that justice is NOT a goal, attainable, or desirable for humanity.

2. Promote the understanding that we are all just possiblities of each other so numerous that counting them would be like trying to count to infinity and then have another number manifest itself from the quantum bubble of endless possiblity.

3. Hold on as reality folds in on itself because we are the only witness to it for ourselves and if one of us is not here that witness and all they bring to our witness of this life is gone forever.

This shit is good btw and I'm not even high yet.

None whatsoever. I do hesitate to think that we can destroy ALL life on this planet, but ours is certain right now at current pace. But outside of investing in humanity and not in man made symbols like money, we are pretty much screwed. Although, even if we fail on singularities mission, the work itself would be worth the work as a rewarding experience. Better to end our lives on that note than on a big house, new car every year, big vacations, and enough Mc Donalds to kill an elephant. Love me some christians hopped up on Mt Dew hoping that god will save us:).

Re-engineer the brain a little, lower self-interest levels a little, make sure there's adequate capacity for empathy and compassion... I'm leaning toward neuroscience, but I guess we could stress social conditioning.

Because people are unacceptable the way they are and need some social engineering.

"Social engineering" is a bit of an exaggeration but yeah. Basically. Conditioning people to be more socially conscious will not destroy their capacity to dream. People will still have desires, goals, and passions. There is plenty of room for improvement before that even starts to become an issue.

And so they need a higher authority to make them think properly.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

Marriage makes women fat?

Started by Logicallunatic in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 hour ago. 9 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 21 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service