Hi gals and guys!

I am in need of your help.

I am building a nice shiny splash page for the site, and I have section on there called, "Misconceptions about Atheism" I was thinking I could just use Sam Harris' post about 10 myths and 10 truths about atheism But I really want your input. So use Sam Harris' post as a template/guide on what I am looking for. Simple to the point and easy to understand.

Thanks! :]

Views: 956

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The most common misconception about atheism is its spelling (as in, "How do I know that this gentleman has ink stains on the skin of his butt? Elementary, my dear Watson: remember he said you talk like a damn' feckin' ath.I.E.st? I can only conclude that he keeps his dictionary in the privy.")
We are more like Satanists than anything else.
We are wild people and have no morals.
We don't understand the Christian religion.
We are mean people.
We are like Jehovah's Witnesses and don't celebrate anything.
We automatically go to "hell".

I only get angry when some one tries to force their self into my home to talk to me about scripture..

The most common thing that I hear is that atheists are closed-minded. That is not true at all! I have spent hours and hours trying read the Bible in an effort to understand the Christian point of view. Most Christians would not listen to Sam Harris for an hour to try to understand my point of view. They are the ones with a closed mind.

actually, all agnostics are atheists.  

If you don't make the positive claim 'Yes, some God exists', then you are an atheist.  

Because agnostics don't answer the question with a 'Yes' ... that makes them an atheist. 

Because atheism does not mean we are 100% certain no gods exist, or that we can prove no gods exist.

Use that on them next time.  It will annoy the crap out of them because they won't want to admit they are atheists ... because of the negative connotation the word has.  

That's why atheism isn't something we label ourselves ... it is something that is simply a word to describe non belief in deities.  And nothing else comes of it.  

ATHEISM IS NOT A BELIEF SYSTEM.  (That to me is the most annoying of the myths.) 

I agree here.. I truly do!

"Dumbass agnostics"?

Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao somehow have something to do with us.

I would rather be associated with Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao than with God!!!

I hate the assumption that something horrible has to have happened in your life in order to be an atheist.

"It takes hubris to deny God.  The arrogant certainty of atheists is a symptom of this hubris."

Actually, what takes hubris is to pretend to know God's mind -- to speak of supernatural gobbledygook that one can't possibly know anything about.  What greater hubris can there be than the arrogant certainty of those who believe they're going to heaven?  Aren't we taught that we're ALL sinners?!?

Yes we are, including babies that are immediately born from their mothers womb.  

We are all infected with the disease of Sin, and only through Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour must we accept into our hearts ....

Oh yeah, we must eat his flesh and drink his blood too.  Yummy.  

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service