No, this isn't an immigration post and it's certainly not a racism post. Rather it's a reference to the situation in Texas where prosecutors seemingly are being targeted both as reprisals for prosecutions and as a terror tactic to accomplish several things: 1) to eliminate tough prosecutors, 2) to discourage anyone from becoming a prosecutor, and 3) to establish that the bad guys are in ultimate control

We've seen this happen in Mexico, where a combination of targeted murders and threats to law officer and prosecutor families have become pretty effective in terms of corrupting officials and establishing the authority of drug gangs over various jurisdictions.

I wonder if that's what's happening here and I wonder if anything can effectively put a stop to it.

Tags: Mexico, terrorism

Views: 362

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This has nothing to do with Mexican gangs, border incursions, immigration reform, or drug smuggling.  This has to do with a violent white supremacist group - The Aryan Brotherhood, trying to gain revenge for a number of their members being arrested, prosecuted and jailed in recent years in the southwest.  

Has anyone noticed that the NRA has been completely silent over this horrific crime?  Why should they say anything?  These good ‘ol boy white fellas are simply exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.  Besides, they pay good money for those weapons, and the NRA isn’t about to do anything that will take so much as a dollar out of the profits of the death-dealing gun merchants.

Coincidentally, the NRA just announced their solution to the school shootings: arm the teachers.  They don’t mention that the now-deceased D.A. and his wife were well-armed and well-trained; or that the AR-15, .223 Bushmaster used was the same as butchered those beautiful, helpless, little children at Sandy Hook.  But the lives of little children and law enforcement officers is not a priority of the NRA; only the profits of the death merchants matter to them.  They know that all they have to do is make these mass-murder weapons easily available and the criminals and crazy people will flock to buy them, thus lining the pockets of the manufacturers and dealers - good ol' American capitalism and market economics in all its glory.  

As to what should be done: begin by completely closing the gun show loopholes, where these murderers most likely purchased their assault weapons. 

2nd, begin to remove weapons designed only for shooting lots of little children and lightly-armed police officers from the streets.  It will doubtless take years to make a big impact, but we must either start addressing this carnage - death and destruction on a scale experienced ONLY by the U.S. among civilized countries (if we dare call ourselves “civilized”) - right now, or it will only get worse.

Third, repeal all the dozen or so “stand your ground” laws in the states.  These are nothing more than thinly-disguised licenses for white people to shoot down unarmed black people.  The NRA has made it quite clear that they support George Zimmerman’s right to chase down an unarmed teenager and shoot him to death; after all, he’s black, isn’t he?  Or as Sean Hannity says, “He was wearing a HOODIE!”  What Sean really means but is too duplicitous to admit, he was Black!

Fourth: re-word the 2nd Amendment so that it is clear about what the founding fathers understood it to be, as detailed in the Articles of Confederation from which it was excerpted: an empowerment of the states to maintain “well-regulated” militias to confront invasions from governments, foreign and domestic; and to keep those weapons in armories where they could easily be accessed by legally-established citizen militias. Despite the specious claims of the NRA and gun nuts, the 2nd Amendment was never intended to make it easy for Americans to shoot each other down in our streets, schools, theaters, and homes.  It was never intended to satiate the fantasies of immature boys/men who never outgrew the excitement of being two-gun cowboys.

@ Dale Headley,

I see you have been getting your regular supply of crack. :D

There are about 100 million of us legal private gun owners in the U.S., we are tax paying law abiding citizens, not criminals who shoot children and politicians.

Please get your head out of whatever dark recess you have it in and come into the light.  Of course that's just a suggestion.

Political killings, child kidnapping and prostitution occur all around the world, your answer is to attack the average citizen's right to self determination and self protection.  In you mythical delusion all the BAD people will give up their BAD ways and become wonderful people overnight.

I'm not buying in.

Stay Armed Stay Free

I know your intentions are good, Dale, and truth is, I agree with much of what you say, but let anyone start rewriting Constitutional Amendments, and watch how quickly they take "freedom of religion" to the chopping block.

Hahahahaha!!!!

You laugh laconically, Unhinged - look at yourself in the mirror with your pants off again? Naaah, you'd be crying --

@Dale if you believe that it has nothing to do with immigration reform I ask you why were these reports made in states that have a high stake in immigration reform? The Aryan brothers desire for "revenge" is no different than any other gang violence that occurs. He who controls the drugs gets the money. That simple. Don't be fooled into thinking these "hits" are the only ones occuring. They're just the only ones being focused on by the media.

When larger government organizations get involved, like the FBI,  the local bad guys usually lose, and the problem goes away to a great extent.

Killing an officer brings scrutiny, as it should.  The average local gangster will not have the capacity to handle coordinated raids by trained squads with night vision goggles. They will not be able to evade detection when voice recognition systems and targeting systems find them with their cell phones. 

I am not making any case for whether night raids on personal property are what should happen, just that it does happen. 

We haven't yet seen the hardcore gangs go about corrupting American officials the way they have done in Mexico, either by direct threats, bribes, or as a last resort threats to their families. We have yet to see how well that tactic works here on a large scale. I think American officials love their families just like Mexican officials, don't you?

Actually, it was Standard Operating Procedure in Mafia controlled NYC. This is not really a new story, just an old story in a new venue. Intimidation can have the possibility of working in any circumstance where risks outweigh the costs..

We can take as given that all officials love their families, no matter where they operate. 

"I wonder if anything can effectively put a stop to it."

Batman. He has no jurisdiction.

Or the coke and weed growers. You reap what you sow. If nothing is sown nothing is grown, and nothing can be sold, and no one gets blown.

Farmers rule the world.

Ending the drug war is the first step in solving a lot of our problems.  It would ripple through so many aspects of our lives.  Get organized religion under control and do something about the ever increasing wage gap and fuck we just might make it. 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Forum

Christian to Atheist. My Testimony.

Started by Toby Briggs in Welcome to Think Atheist. Last reply by captain kingsway 13 minutes ago. 1 Reply

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service