No, this isn't an immigration post and it's certainly not a racism post. Rather it's a reference to the situation in Texas where prosecutors seemingly are being targeted both as reprisals for prosecutions and as a terror tactic to accomplish several things: 1) to eliminate tough prosecutors, 2) to discourage anyone from becoming a prosecutor, and 3) to establish that the bad guys are in ultimate control

We've seen this happen in Mexico, where a combination of targeted murders and threats to law officer and prosecutor families have become pretty effective in terms of corrupting officials and establishing the authority of drug gangs over various jurisdictions.

I wonder if that's what's happening here and I wonder if anything can effectively put a stop to it.

Tags: Mexico, terrorism

Views: 366

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"the tactics of the Mexican drug gangs"? Exactly the same thing is happening in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

@unseen: "It looks like the bad guys may be learning from the tactics the Mexican drug gangs use of terrorizing officials in order to either corrupt them or eliminate them if they can't be corrupted."

sorry. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here. Let me try to clarify because I still think you are missing my point completely.

Ok I have worked in law enforcement IN the southwest. A HUGE part of the interview, training and ongoing training was focused on how NOT to fall victim to a con and end up corrupted and booked through the backdoor yourself. It is easier than one might think and hundreds of thousands of law enforcement officials do unfortunately have this happen to them (nationwide). Many times it flies under the radar and is rarely focused on in the media unless something dramatic happens that is WAY out of the ordinary. The bad guys aren't "learning from the tactics of the Mexican drug gangs." Sorry. These tactics if you want to call them that are as old as the system itself as we know it. I know several officers who have been threatened and NONE of these "tactics" ever reached the evening news. I know a female officer who fell victim to a hit by SNMers (prison gang) as a way to rank in one of their chics and she was 3 months pregnant. She lost her baby and the girl who beat her down got convicted. No it was not ever on the news. Do you honestly think the media has no stake in the matter? Do you honestly believe that they have no agenda of their own? If you don't want to believe the media's cherrypicking these stories is not in any way connected to what is going down between the US and Mexico, fine. Don't believe me. But if you are honestly trying to understand why officers are being "targeted" I'm trying to explain to you that EVERY SINGLE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL IN THE WORLD is a target for gangs and drug lords to some extent. Some more than others. You never hear about most of it unless you wear a badge. So yes. These reports are politically motivated.

Do you honestly think the media has no stake in the matter?

And yet, you assert that the intimidations you mention are ignored by the media. Why? The media like ratings!

I'm no dope. I understand that intimidation and threats of law enforcement are nothing new. Until now, the murdering of law enforcement officials has been relatively rare (by comparison with Mexico, for example). 

My question which YOU seem to be missing is whether this is going to become more common.

It will only become more common to the extent that law enforcement officials begin to play both sides. The more of them that do, the greater risk to them ALL as a whole. This depends largely on the leadership of each unit and how they enforce punishment for those caught up in illegal activity themselves. The problem is that some stuff gets "swept under the rug" simply because they are EXTREMELY short staffed and rather than have to work 16 hour days 5 days a week (or more) the lack of people who can handle the pressure and STAY on board makes it a delicate balance. I saw some officers do some shit that should have gotten them fired on the spot but no one said anything.

Another problem is how seniority plays a role. Many times it's the old timers who become corrupt are also the ones with the higher ranks (not always) so they either know how to hide the corruption to their own benefit but put their fellow officers at risk, OR they are known for not following protocol but no one stands up to them because they themselves are in a position of power and maybe about to retire. I can't tell you whether it will become more common but these reasons would be why it would if it did.

You seem to be describing the, "I've got your back" concept, which is great when you're going up against the bad guys, whether in war or the police force, but there should be a common understanding that that concept ends at illegal activity, despite the fact that it must be difficult to live on a cop's salary while watching high-end drug dealers driving Mercedes'.

Then too, even from childhood, everyone hates a tattle-tale.

So, you're a cop and some dude pulls you aside and shows a criminal colleague of his standing near nearby your wife and child with a "we know how to reach you" look on his face. It's either live in mortal fear for your family or do them a small favor, plus there's some cash they want you to take. Actually, they make you take it. That's how it starts. 

Sure this thing has gone one from time to time here, but I wonder. Now, with the drug gangs moving to the north, whether it's going to become as epidemic as it is south of the border. You're not really providing me with much hope, Belle.

It already is epidemic Unseen. That's the point I'm trying to make. You just don't hear about it on the news. That's why when you do hear about it there's usually an agenda behind it. You also don't hear about the hundreds of thousands of heroic actions that law enforcement officials do to save lives. It is a hidden world right under your nose.
@arch: the cops that go corrupt are mostly either Rookie cops that don't know what's happening until they've already got conned or the old timers about to retire. It's not about "I got your back" as much as it is about either being too stupid, too scared, or purposefully trying to gain something for themselves. Not everyone is suited for law enforcement but the force has to keep around as many people as possible to reduce overtime and burnout. So the corrupt ones ruin it for everybody else.

"I wonder if anything can effectively put a stop to it."

MOAR GUUUNS!!

The 'war on drugs' is an abject failure that costs millions in incarcerating the poor, millions more in fighting a free market, and only ends up empowering organized crime by creating very precious contraband for them to trade.

The only way to end the drug cartels is to legalize drugs.  Interestingly that will also reduce the illegal trade of guns which will have the effect of fewer people perceiving the need to legally own guns.  Perhaps then, and only then, will everyone do an heroic hit of DMT, experience ego death, and come together in a truly advanced form of civilization.

But the government in any realistic scenario will always make drugs illegal to market to some segment of the population. Let's start with people who can't get a prescription for hydrocodone, to take just one of many such examples. And then it will always be illegal to market drugs to minors.

And the gangs will just then move into other areas, such as kidnapping minors to be used as prostitutes. Should we legalize that as well?

Won't they just move into other areas of crime? Armed robbery, hijacking trailer trucks full of valuable cargo, cybercrime, etc.? 

Giving them a valuable category of contraband gives them immense revenues - and those revenues are sought with great violence.  Legalizing the drugs eliminates that category of contraband and zaps that source of revenue.  They already do kidnap minors to be used as sex slaves - but minors must be fed, groomed, and are a lot harder to transport than a kilo of coke (not to mention worth less).  The problem with anti-drug laws is that drugs are so compact and carry so much value.

You don't have to make every drug available for recreational use - but you do need to keep a wide enough supply available to keep people from gravitating towards home distillations/concoctions.  Of the billions saved off the 'war on drugs', you do have to spend a significant fraction on health care for the resulting junkies - but then you can keep the billions you save on prisons.

Drug addiction needs to be treated as an illness, not a crime - and doing so also curbs the spread of HIV/Hep C.  Drug dealing needs to be treated as an issue for the tax collectors.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service