Fighters from the terror group ISIL, which is so atrocious it was kicked out of the Al-Qaida network due to its brutality, just captured Tikrit after recently capturing Mosul. Iraq seems poised to be split into three parts, a Kurdish state in the north, an Iranian puppet in the east, and a salafist terror state in the west - in fact, you could very well argue that is already the case.

In 2007 there were less than 30 terror groups like Al-Qaida, now that number has risen to around 50. In 2007 there were 18-42.000 terror incidents, last year it was 44-105.000. Deaths from terror attacks has risen from around 7.500 in 2007 to almost 18.000 in 2013, and this doesn't even count the Syrians which has been killed by the terrorist actors, ISIL among them, in the civil war there.

Safe to say, the mission hasn't been accomplished and the war on terror has been going badly lately, if not outright lost.

So, any good ideas..?

Views: 1076

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Personal" feedback that amounts to personal attack or defamation is not "a gift", Bob. It's against site policy.

It may not be defamation, but how can it not be a personal attack. Shall we put it to the other mods?

It may not be defamation, but how can it not be a personal attack.

I just explained how and when it's not a personal attack: demonstrate that the comment is reasonably true and relevant to the argument at hand. Allow me to illustrate.

Argue a point based on wilful ignorance? You're wilfully ignorant. Argue a point using a lie? You're lying. Demonstrate that it's reasonably true and relevant to the point at hand and you're in the clear.

Argue (or ignore) the point claiming, "[you're] a legend in your own mind"...? That's a personal attack.

Argue (or ignore) the point claiming, "[U]nless someone recognizes GM as an authority on the subject such that your analysis is not to be missed, you dismiss them"...? That's defamation: a false statement to harm someone's reputation.

Shall we put it to the other mods?

Sure, go for it. It's been, what, a month since your last one? I welcome the added scrutiny of our exchange. Bob's too, if you like. Use the feedback form this time, it'll go through faster. And don't leave out any details!

So, your "defense" is a tu quoque fallacy ("You do it, too, nyah nyah")? I'm not a mod, whose job it should be to be exemplary, not mimic the bad behavior of those one is moderating. 

So, your "defense" is a tu quoque fallacy ("You do it, too, nyah nyah")?

Don't be silly, Unseen. I didn't say you do it too. I said you did it and I demonstrated how. And that's not a "defense", it's a simple explanation.

I'm not a mod, whose job it should be to be exemplary, not mimic the bad behavior of those one is moderating.

You're accusing me of copying your bad behavior? As I said, by all means, present your case to the mod community.

I haven't edited your posts, or deleted your off-topic comments, banned you, or sanctioned you in any way. Nobody has. And you all but admit your own misbehavior, including personal attacks on me. That's not me or anyone else "moderating" you, that's me looking the other way.

Otherwise, this is done. This thread is not about your opinion of me as a moderator. If you want to pursue that, talk to Dan. He's my boss here and it's his judgment that counts, not yours.

Done? We'll see. Typically you seem helpless to let someone you're in a contentious discussion with have the last word.  At least, that's the way it's worked with me.

Avoid posts like this one where "a legend in your own mind" does seem apropos.

You're being a little hard on yourself here, Bob. It doesn't matter, though. That you are arrogant despite your intellectual shortcomings has no bearing on the arguments you present. Arrogance is allowed. So is humility.

But one thing isn't. What you posted about me here (the quoted portion at the top) is defamation: unfair and inaccurate personal criticism that's irrelevant to the topic at hand.

You're free to post whatever fiction you want, but when that fiction strays into the realm of "personal feedback" on a TA member, you'd best be able to support your claims as reasonably true and relevant.

For instance, calling someone a liar is permissible and not defaming if you can reasonably demonstrate the lie and if it's relevant to the subject at hand. Calling someone a liar unjustly and without reasonably supporting the claim in a way that's relevant? That's defamation. Untrue and irrelevant personal attacks on a person or group of people (namely atheists) are expressly forbidden.

You've gotten away with this until now because it's subtle or your target hasn't bothered to report it. But I've got my eye on you, Bob.

Maybe it's the old Libertarian in me, but why doesn't the US reset the border back to the 50 States and stop getting involved in the affairs of foreign countries?  The only reason we get into these messes is to protect "American interests"...meaning the far reaching tentacles of American Capitalism around the world.

Hell, if we want to invade a foreign country I would opine that Mexico makes a more logical choice than Iraq.  Send an 'expeditionary force' South of the Border and kill these bastard pumping poison into the US and being paid off with guns and ammo. 

Philip, I agree. America's predatory capitalists have tentacles to wherever there's oil and minerals.

The shortest way I know to say it is that the 1787 Constitution made Alexander Hamilton's "rich and well born" the nation's ruling class. Though briefly interrupted by a civil war, their interests have guided domestic and foreign policy ever since.

Why not Mexico, Central and South America and the Caribbean? Our military spent decades there protecting ruling class interests. Is this hemisphere too small?

I see history as a long, slow, continuing movement toward political democracy. A movement toward economic democracy (employee ownership) has begun but will the earth be habitable long enough for it to spread?

Erock, after you add a post and next see it, the tiny X in the upper right corner lets you delete it. At this time the email announcing your post has already been sent.

Ah, thanks.

I think te question is, "why was it deleted and by whom". In order to avoid accusations of thread hijacking, I started a separate discussion about this growing problem but it was, for some reason, disallowed.

Mike, in my posts, and only in my posts, do I see a tiny X in the upper right corner.

I occasionally use it to edit a post after the 15-minute edit period has run out.

No one else has ever deleted a post I wrote.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service