Let's delve into the realm of apocalyptic hypotheticals!

An asteroid (or meteor, whichever suits your sense of imagined doom) has been discovered on a direct collision course with Earth, ensuring cataclysmic destruction upon its arrival.  Unfortunately, this deadly projectile has slipped through the solar system unnoticed by astronomers until it is only twenty-four hours from impact.

For the sake of the hypothetical predicament, we'll assume that news of the asteroid's imminent arrival is not withheld from the public.  Suddenly and unexpectedly, you learn that this is the last day of your life.

What would you do?

Tags: apocalypse, asteroid, cataclysm, day, final, hypothetical

Views: 543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Would there be an evening of old scores real or imagined?

I also wondered about that. And, I must confess, I wondered if I myself would be struck by the urge to get to one final battle in with old foes. I would hope that I would be able to let past negativity lie dormant, but it's hard to imagine what the full psychological impact would be of guaranteed death. Maybe old wounds would reopen and demand attention; or maybe my mind would only focus upon these past emotional injuries as a buffer against the painful awareness of my own imminent death.
make sure they know I love them

This is such a common response to people being told they're going to die, and I've always wondered, what difference would it make, we'll all die anyway? and I don't think there's life after death or reincarnation... so what's the point?
The Grand Canyon would definitely be a fantastic place to watch the end of the world!
If this hypothetical might hypothetically happen sometime in the future, I need to start planning ahead years in advance for what I really would like to do those last 24 hours.
I know! I think one of the hardest things would be deciding on something that could be quickly achieved. If I was staring at a twenty-four hour countdown, I would not want to spend too much time procuring whatever it is that I wanted to do.
A mind-boggling marathon of every single episode of every single cartoon I've ever loved, starting with joyous through My Little Pony and ending with bittersweet through The Fox and the Hound.

Of course I'll be needing more than twenty four hours. Hrmph.
Oooo I like it! This plan would involve massive bowls of sugary cereal, right?
Nothing but Trix and Lucky Charms. Ack. To die in a sugary coma before the asteroid burns the planet.
Hey, as long as it turns the milk purple, I won't complain!
With my luck, I'll be watching The Fox and the Hound to end my marathon, and the whole world evaporates just seconds before Vixey and Tod cuddle and the final "The End"(trust me, the "The End" is the cherry on top that sooo totally makes the movie).
I actually haven't seen that movie in so long that I can't even remember the full plotline. I do remember being extremely sad; am I thinking of the right movie?
It has one really sad part. Sadder than Bambi(although I think Dumbo still beats it). But it's most notable for being the only Disney movie to end bittersweetly(Pocahontas doesn't count because that ending was just unhappy and the movie sucked anyway LOL) and the last movie to have the credits in front and a "The End" back.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service