Preface:

Let me begin this thread by stating that I read through the topic of transhumanism started by our esteemed TA member Nate Lundgren last year and felt like it did not address the issue of consciousness transfer. There was a lengthy debate on the definition/semantics of transhumanism and whether it is rightfully characterized as dogma. Hopefully this thread will focus more on the implications of transferring human consciousness into an alien body.

_________________________________________________________________________________

If the technology was available and you were near the end of your physical life would you consider transferring your consciousness into a droid/robot? If our consciousness is our primary essence would this process not ensure our existence 'in perpetuity'?  Also, if you could specify, would you request having the dark unfortunate memories of your current human existence not transferred?  

As technological advancements gain increasing momentum we are toying with the ability to transfer our very cognitive thoughts at some point. Would our taking over the controls of human evolutionary development in the "posthuman age" lead to an improvement as a sentient being or it would it all unravel and be our ultimate demise?

There are certainly many considerations. A large one being would we retain our present compliment of emotional states after the transfer? Would our mental state develop in the direction of being a purely logic-oriented being devoid of compassion and empathy? That would be a wrong turn in my estimation. 

I see where it could become a very slippery slope indeed. On the other hand having the ability to glide endlessly into the future with my consciousness jumping from agent to agent is alluring.

Views: 824

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It wont matter.  The man would be too screamingly insane to testify :)

But the dilemma is not quite there - the memory of the consequences of the first wish would not be there, nor would the man recognise the experience - it would be a brand new horror.

The point, of course, is that we need our bad experiences probably more than we need our good ones, because the lesson of self preservation is likely more vital than the lesson of gratification :)

This seems a silly question, (and one I had about 25 years ago with a girlfriend after a ST:NG episode). If 100% of your physical body were replace by mechanicals and electronics, and the THINKING part of your brain was being done in a block of gold-laced silicon, But you still preferred rare steak, brunettes, ladies under 30 and cars over 50,   You are a human.  You are in a machine.  It doesn't matter, except you might be able to do more than you could the last time you were conscious. 

I may have completed the transformation as evidenced by my latest song.

four score

Might need a quick tweaking of the vocal chord circuits I'm thinking....

Text generated speech, modulated with a synth carrier.

Yes. I've been following up on the 2045 initiative with huge interest. If I could I would. We'd be able to travel space, our current bodies couldn't handle. Though, I'd keep the harsh memories. I want them all. Humans learn from mistake so forgetting the bad things would essentially be going back to basics. I'll just have to wait until 2045. I would fucking love to be immortal. What do I have to lose?

"Humans learn from mistake so forgetting the bad things would essentially be going back to basics."

In my case there is a collection of unfortunate memories that occurred without any wrongdoing on my part; I would rather not harbor those thoughts.

@Kyron;

"What do I have to lose?"

Your Mind.

One point my sister brought up is that she would not be happy if her loved ones were not around. This is a consideration but my response is that we make new friends throughout our lives and that they could help replace that sense of loss.

@Ed;

"...she would not be happy if her loved ones were not around."

No worries, they're sitting one shelf above her in a similar looking box to the one she now exists in.

Now wait. I'm not signing up to be a paperweight. There has to be a connectivity to a greater realm--cyber and/or physical.

I'm sorry that's only in First Class, your in Coach...would you like a refund?

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service