Yesterday i was having a conversation with a co-worker who went on a lengthy soliloquy about the Illuminati and their plans on world domination. He adamantly believes this conspiracy theory, and that this moment of "all hell breaks loose", is near. What are your thoughts on this considering that it has religious undertones to it (heaven and hell, satanic rituals, blah blah blah)

Tags: conspiracy, illuminati, theories

Views: 449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have also discussed this topic in depth with lecturers and friends.

Technically, the Illuminati did exist. It was known as the Bavarian Illuminati and was founded on May 1, 1776, by Adam Weishaupt, who was Professor of Canon Law at the University of Ingolstadt.

The Illuminati that is spoken of today is sometimes regarded as an extension of the original Bavarian order. However, some suggest that it is an entirely different group altogether.

If you conduct research on Freemasonry, Skull & Bones or Bohemian Grove you will discover that rituals are performed within these secret societies. These groups do exist. Whether or not they are planning world domination is another matter.

The Bilderberg Group has been purported to be a collection of some of the most powerful individuals on the planet. The group meets annually to discuss plans for the future of the world. Is it really so hard to believe the possibility that people of such status would have their own agenda? Or that they would protect each others interests to retain their status?

Whether you link that to world domination depends on your personal view but how many dictators have tried to rule the world before? Hitler tried and he was interested in the occult.

We have heard the term 'New World Order' and 'One World Government' bandied around by politicians and leaders. I believe that in such a system it would be easier for a small number of powerful individuals to rule the world.

Hey Danny - you're right, it does exist. But it's purpose and agenda is probably far simpler and more down to Earth than conspiracy theorists would like it to be; such as removing from society its ancient and feudal ways of religion, wars, nationalism, and senseless killing.

- kk

I think it's just people being afraid of what they don't understand. Just because a group is secretive doesn't mean they're trying to take over the world.

Illuminati/ New world order conspiracy is a bunch of shit. But then again if you can believe in religion then believing in crap like this isn't so strange either.

I was talking to a guy once about the “The Da Vinci Code”. He was trying to convince me that it proved that Jesus was real because the evidence was all there about his affair with Mary Magdalene. Even when I should him the word “Fiction” on the cover of the book he remained adamant. It reminds me of the line “Of course Jesus existed. Why else would vampires be afraid of the crucifix if he was not real? Quick let’s get to a library!!!

Just as some people have the alcoholism gene, it seems some people are born to believe in conspiracies. I find them sadly laughable.

Ignorance Quotient?

I have a problem with the concept of a conspiracy. 

I have met a lot of people in my life, and of those, maybe a handful can actually keep a secret.  It doesn't seem to matter whether its a big secret or a little one.  It burns to be told.  It gives the drunk a chance to say, "shhhh I shouldn't tell you this, but...".  It gives the person telling the secret a feeling of power or wisdom, because they know something more than their confidante does.  At it's basest level, it provides fodder for gossip.

People talk in their sleep.  People whistle-blow.  People gossip.  People get drunk.  Secrecy just doesn't work for long enough.  The number of people that would be needed to keep a conspiracy secret, is too many to actually do so. 

I think conspiracy theorists may have a need to believe that there is structure out there, in the midst of what seems like a mess.  And having a little dose of paranoia helps too.

What we seem to have, is so much access to information via the internet nowadays, that just about anything, even pink unicorns, could be supported with the right selection of information.

That's my feeling exactly. Like with those who believe the NYC Trade Towers fell due to explosives planted by some government back ops group. It would have to be a very large group (it's not like four guys could wire the two towers over a weekend in a way that no one would notice). So, let's say at least a couple dozen guys had to do it. Nobody comes down with cancer and wants to make a deathbed confession? Nobody gets drunk and runs off at the mouth? 

I don't believe it. 

Ditto for the "We never landed on the moon" people, the people who believe that the government is run by reptile aliens, or The Trilateral Commission, or the Jesuit "Black Pope." 

People who watch too much TV and whose lives are so empty they need to fill them with fanciful beliefs. 

Hey! Doesn't that sound like Christians?

I have known my share of smart people. I wonder if it is really 'smart' to try and control the world?

In your case, Unseen, they really ARE out to get you --

RSS

Forum

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Simon Paynton 1 hour ago. 11 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 10 hours ago. 40 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 11 hours ago. 5 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service