Hello again everyone! I'm excited about this weeks reading, we are starting to see some good examples of the evolutionary process as well as some of the primary examples that helped Darwin shape his realizations. I found a few of the examples very interesting and I really enjoyed reading about the predictions that were made by two different people (Darwin & Wallace) around the same time periods, with limited knowledge of each others research. This, to me, was great to read about. Finding that multiple researchers were finding some of the same information at the same time shows me that there is a decent amount of merit to what they proposed.

When i was getting through the examples in the text there were a few things that stuck out to me and a few things I had some questions about.

1- The idea that the pollinators (Hummingbirds, Bees, etc.) had the same tendencies towards what we described as 'beautiful' flowers. Hence, causing the flowers that were more colorful and pleasing to look at to become pollinated more often and have better chances of surviving. Also falling under this same idea was the idea that the hens are more attracted to a mate that had a more flamboyant and colorful than others that looked a little more plain, again using the same presumption that they are seeing these colors the same way we see them. 

2- Natural Selection. There are so many good examples of this in the book, and the way it ends up working always seems to be a cycle to me. The one i saw the cycle in the most was the Canary. The idea that the females were attracted to the males song and it caused a sort of arousal that caused the likelihood of them mating to increase. This, in turn, would help to develop more males to be born that had the more attractive song and would eventually cause more mating. This is the big concept behind Natural Selection, Right? I'm new to the details of Natural Selection and the majority of the ideas in this chapter include the female making a choice of its mate, so I wanted to clarify the process and what parameters constitute that it is indeed Natural Selection. 

Okay, i don't want to take up all the main points, I hope to hear from everyone soon. Thanks again for joining me!

Tags: Atheist, Dawkins, Earth., Greatest, Reading, Richard, Show, The, on

Views: 227

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, and I learned a new word. Pleiotropy (mutations that effect more than one trait). He mentions it when he talks about the silver fox experiment.

RSS

Discussion Forum

"Cli-fi"

Started by Don Aug 31. 0 Replies

What to Read

Started by Jason Lamar Sorensen. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck Aug 6. 19 Replies

Atheism and fiction

Started by Davis Goodman. Last reply by Davis Goodman Feb 23. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service