Hello again everyone,

For those of you that were interested or recently started The Greatest Show on Earth, by Richard Dawkins, I figured we would start a discussion on it. Any one that wants to join in and start the read is more than welcome, as well as those who have already read it. (I'm sure Nelson will have some insight for us!)

Let me know what you think! Thanks everyone!

-Jason!

Tags: Atheist, Dawkins, Earth., Greatest, Reading, Richard, Show, The, on

Views: 98

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I am new to this site but would like to join in on the discussion.  I have been slowly reading The Greatest Show on Earth and am finishing Chapter 6 now.  It is engrossing.
Count me in
I read it once and am on my second pass right now. There is so much information it is hard to retain, but nobody can get the details and the presentation down like Dawkins. I'm addicted to his writing.

How and When will the discussion start? 

I take it that the discussion will start sometime later on Sunday night.  Is that correct?  Will it be right here on this thread?
I will be starting a be discussion on it tonight some time. I will post a link in this discussion to it. I look forward to talking to everyone soon!

Hello Everyone!

After a long and busy holiday I finally managed to start the preface and chapter one discussion. It will be open for the next week and we can get started posting on it right away. I'm looking forward to all the responses. Here is the link to the first discussion page

"The Greatest Show on Earth" - Discussion 1

Enjoy!

Thank you to everyone that participated in the Preface and Chapter One discussion board. I think for next Sunday we can try to get chapters two and three in. I hope this isn't too fast for everyone. If you haven't finished the preface and chapter one that's fine. I will still be responding to that discussion board and you can catch up with us at your own pace.

I look forward to the next discussion with you all.

Happy reading!

sure would be cool to see some of the interest that was expressed in this thread carry over into the other discussion threads

Hello again everyone,

I guess we had a little falling off, but feel free to jump right back in. I didn't post the link to the second discussion like I did with the first, so I guess better late than never. Here it is.

http://www.thinkatheist.com/group/readatheist/forum/topics/the-grea...

Looking forward to hearing some responses. The chapter three discussion will be up sometime Sunday night or Monday morning! Thanks again for the responses.

Hello,

Just wanted to stop by and let everyone know that the next discussion for the book is up!

Check it out here - "The Greatest Show on Earth" Discussion 3

so, Chapter 4: Silence and Slow Time.

One of the most striking tidbits in this chapter comes near the end when Dawkins points out that "some 40% of the American population, and a somewhat smaller percentage of the British population, claim to believe that the Earth, far from being measured in billions of years, is less than 10,000 years. Lamentably, in America and over much of the Islamic world, some of these history-deniers wield power over schools and their syllabuses." That is truly grotesque, that the numbers are that high, I mean I can't stand the idea of ANYONE believing that crap, but 40%...

It's so hard to understand that mindset. I mean when I read this chapter and Dawkins clearly details how dating works: tree rings (dendrochronology), radioactive clocks (half-life), and the various layers that fossils are found in and how they correspond to certain time periods (Cambrian, Ordovician, Devonian, etc.); and how all these methods can be used to date fossils and rocks and the age of the earth: it just all seems to make perfect sense. 1+1=2. And yet, so many people just completely reject all this evidence to instead "uphold the origin myth of a particular set of Bronze Age desert tribesman." Sigh...

RSS

Discussion Forum

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service