The movement started on reddit.com
. The supplied thread contains all of the information regarding the movement.
As described by col381:
I would very much like to see this movement become something real, something more than just a bunch of redditors sitting around saying 'hey, great idea' and then nothing happening.
What we need to do is to start momentum on this thing.
* A Non-violent, non-offensive, form of social political protest.
* The aim is to raise the consciousness of people that this is against everything that the founders wanted America to become.
* The aim is to get people talking, stuff like this is very controversial, this is what we want. Controversy starts discussion of the issue, discussion forces people to think about it and form an opinion about it, and eventually opinions form policy.
* To raise awareness of the need for secularism
* To increase awareness of intolerance against Atheists - when 'innocent' people start getting abused because they are using marked money, this will increase their awareness about how Atheists are treated/perceived by society.
* Start spending more cash! I don't mean go out and blow your budgets, but start using your credit cards less and cash more.
* Be sure to hand over bills with the marked side down; it's always better to avoid problems than to deal with them.
* Keep a few unmarked (larger denomination) bills handy in case you have problems at the till, if someone does raise it say something like "man, I keep seeing that everywhere" and feign innocence.
* Don't waste your marked bills by using them at the bank as they will only separate them out for disposal. Spend them at places where cash is king; bars, supermarkets, small shops, etc.
* Smaller bills such as $20, $10, $5 & $1's are much more likely to be handed back to people as change. Larger bills will mostly always find their way back to the banks where there is a chance the note will be taken out of circulation.
* Please don't feel tempted to write anything offensive on the bills, a simple mark through the g-word is enough. This is a form of passive political protest, our aim is to educate and raise awareness of the importance of secularism - not to be offensive.
* For those of you out there that write blogs, please write something about this.
* For those of you that do youtube videos, please do the same.
* Start threads on other Atheist websites about this to get the message out to other Atheists
* If you are a member of an Atheist group, raise consciousness about this there
* We need a web site as a central focus for this - see comments below about needing a simple name behind the movement. Once we have a name, we need volunteers to help set up the site and put together the message.
* Once we have a website, a press release is needed to alert the media.
Guerrilla Tactics :
* Write letters to your local newspaper 'complaining' about the number of bills you keep seeing with god crossed off - pretend to be outraged, and send them photos of a marked bill as part of your letter ; newspapers just love that kind of shit. This not only spreads the word, it increases awareness of the campaign and starts discussion about the secularisation of money (which is the PRIMARY aim after all). Do not use your real name for this. Massive kudos (and karma) awaits anyone that manages to get something printed about this and then posts it back here. If anything does get printed, we also of course need to be sure to respond in support of this.
* Place comments on Christian websites about this and get them aware of the campaign (again, pretend to be 'outraged' by this when you do it). For the campaign to spread we need controversy and our super tolerant friends the Christians can (and will happily) do all the hard work we need for this (Poe's law works both ways, let's use this to our advantage).
The most important thing we need is a name, what do we call this 'movement' of ours? Any suggestions?
If you can post this to a blog or do anything to get the movement going please do so!