Did you watch the trial? I did. I work at home and had the trial going on as I worked. I’m sure I saw at least 3/4 of the trial live and heard playbacks of anything important that I missed. If I had been in the jury, I would have voted to acquit him as well.

Do I think George Zimmerman is a racist? Well, yes and no. He’s not your classic Ku Klux Klanner. The state never turned up any blatantly racial statements he had ever made. He did lament to a police operator once that “The assholes always get away.” Some people are reading those words as implicitly racial, but there is no supporting evidence for that assumption.

He had even volunteered in programs that mainly benefited black youth!

At the same time, I think there is little doubt that he profiled the victim, Trayvon Martin. I’m not sure he profiled him because he was black. I think perhaps he would have profiled any male teen walking along in Zimmerman’s neighborhood who had the hood of his hoodie up.

I think the initial mistake was in charging Zimmerman in the first place. The local police decided there was no case and decided not to prosecute. It was only after a clamor orchestrated by Trayvon’s family attorney that the state Attorney General stepped in and forced a prosecution that Zimmerman was charged.

The problem the prosecution faced was that the only eye-witness to the fight between Martin and Zimmerman supported Zimmerman’s story that Trayvon was on top, pounding Zimmerman’s head on the concrete sidewalk. And Zimmerman did have a broken nose. All Martin had was a bullet through the heart, which is allowed in Florida (and in most states, even ones without specific Stand Your Ground laws) if Zimmerman had reason to feel his life was in danger.

In final summations, where generally it is the prosecution explaining the letter of the law and how to apply it, while the defense often appeals to the jury’s feelings rather than their intellect, it was reversed. It was the defense explaining in detail how to apply the law while it was the prosecutors shouting and foaming at the mouth about the injustice of Trayvon Martin’s death. That alone signaled that the prosecution really didn’t trust their own case.

In retrospect, it appears that the local police were right. And, in fact, during cross examination, the lead local investigator admitted that he personally believed Zimmerman’s story based on the facts he discovered. While the judge ordered the jury not to consider that opinion (because it’s an opinion and not a fact), “You can’t un-ring a bell.”

This case should have all of us thinking about assumptions we make regarding young people and especially young black males. Perhaps Florida will reconsider it’s “Stand Your Ground” law which makes it easier to defend oneself with lethal force based merely on a belief that one is in danger of death or severe bodily harm.

I don’t know what actually happened leading up to the shooting death of Trayvon Martin. Only George Zimmerman knows that. Did he profile Trayvon? I think he did. Did he profile him racially? The evidence doesn’t support that. Trayvon was probably profiled more as a young male than as a black male. Under his hoodie, his race may not have been evident.

Profiling may be a bad thing but it isn’t an illegal thing. And Zimmerman wasn’t on trial for profiling, but for murder. The state had to prove that Zimmerman had hate in his heart, and that they didn’t do.

The verdict, as dissatisfying as it may be, was the right one based on the facts.

Tags: George, Martin, Trayvon, Zimmerman, profiling, race

Views: 2859

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wait till he gets a book deal!

Apparently one of the jurors had intended to write a book on the matter, and the news was not received very well in the black community.  See this link for details.  (I only say 'black community' as the site refers to "Black Twitter", and the site itself goes by the name of "Ebony")

People are so inured to the news anymore that not much really sends a "message."

Anyone thinking they're going to run out to buy a gun has to look at what has happened to George Zimmerman. Having killed a black man will not win him many votes in the white community, nor in the black and Hispanic communities (and remember, he's Hispanic not white). 

There is no history of anyone attaining high office based on the fact they killed anyone. Can you think of one. 

You're just being unnecessarily hysterical. Get a grip.

"There is no history of anyone attaining high office based on the fact they killed anyone."

Fidel Castro?

"There is no history of anyone attaining high office based on the fact they killed anyone.

Can you think of one".

Yes I can, Robert Crittenden, attorney, politician and temporary Governor of the slave state of Kentucky. Killed Henry Wharton Conway in a duel in 1827. There is a county named in his honor, Crittenden County, killing someone is no barrier to serving in elective office in the U.S.  

1827. I rest my case.

Continued from here.

The bringing of the charges and the hysterical aftermath of the widely predicted verdict show how today's social media can turn into a high-tech lynch mob, propelled by people who don't bother to really dig into the facts before forming opinions.

This is a lynch mob, Unseen. This is what lynch mobs do. Don't tell me I haven't dug into the facts in forming my opinion, or that I'm guilty of excessive, uncontrolled emotion while you hypocritically throw me down on all fours with murderous beasts like the ones in this photo.

Yes, we need to work on subliminal racism among America's whites, but picking out one person involved in such a bad case is simply nuts. He's the wrong guy to set up as the example of what's wrong with race relations in America.

Zimmerman is not THE example, but Stand Your Ground shootings as "justifiable homicides" are worth considering as a symptom of what's wrong with race relations in America. See this post for 4,650 reasons why it is.

Also, Gallup's Mirror seems to be under the impression the Zimmerman is looking forward to the life of Riley now that he's been exonerated. Actually, his life will be immeasurably worse now unless he gets some plastic surgery, changes his name, and moves outside the United States. The life he has ahead of him isn't one I'd wish on anyone.

Actually, ol' Gallup said he's under the impression that "Zimmerman will be facing a federal prosecution that'll make Florida look like a kid's game." That's no picnic.

Thanks for posting that most iconic picture of a real lynching, that is what lynching is really like.

Thanks for posting that most iconic picture of a real lynching, that is what lynching is really like.

It's a disturbing image, which I'm sad to say was not hard to locate considering how many of them exist. I found it cheap and insensitive to see Unseen drawing comparisons between a brutal hate crime and that George Zimmerman ever faced charges at all (and was acquitted no less) for killing Trayvon Martin.

I am really surprised at the myopia on display here, it is almost like talking with a postmodernist no counter argument no matter how well laid out and carefully presented is taken into consideration, no response is made to the discussion or facts as presented. Cheap and insensitive, to me, describes the attitude on display here. This trial was not about whether Mr. Zimmerman was a 'bigot' or who felt "threatened" in the encounter Trayvon Martin was not even afforded that argument in the trial. A teen was killed and the jury and the state's self-defense laws judged him to be the author of his own premature death.  Mr.Zimmerman armed with a gun followed and confronted Trayvon Martin who was not engaged in any unlawful act, his side of what happened will never be known and that seems to be ok with those satisfied with the shooter's account, they are smugly satisfied with the outcome. George Zimmerman must give direct testimony and give a full account of his actions from start to finish. Mr. Martin's family has a right to get answers through our legal system at all levels available to them in their search to learn the truth of what happen that terrible night.

A teen was killed and the jury and the state's self-defense laws judged him to be the author of his own premature death. 

I think this is the incisive heart of it: the jury decided the killing was justified as a legal mandate that according to one juror tied their hands. As a matter of evidence and testimony they may have convicted Zimmerman of manslaughter or second degree murder.

Mr.Zimmerman armed with a gun followed and confronted Trayvon Martin who was not engaged in any unlawful act, his side of what happened will never be known and that seems to be ok with those satisfied with the shooter's account, they are smugly satisfied with the out come.

It's worth mentioning that even if Trayvon was punching George in the face, and had initiated the attack, that alone is still not justification for shooting him in the heart at point-blank range. But as you said, we'll never know Martin's side of what happened or who provoked whom. I find that kind of ignorance frustrating, and cannot understand why so many seem to relish it, and seize upon it to assume that Martin was the sole aggressor and provocateur. Maybe he was. But maybe not.

Mr. Martin's family has a right to get answers through our legal system at all levels available to them in their search to learn the truth of what happen that terrible night.

Aside from the death of their son, this must be the worst part of it: not knowing the truth of it, Zimmerman being the only witness to the entire chain of events, and knowing for that reason they probably never will know exactly what happened.

"Maybe he was. But maybe not." - otherwise known as reasonable doubt.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Cato Rigas 1 hour ago. 68 Replies

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 1 hour ago. 9 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Unseen 4 hours ago. 70 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service