According to the entheogen theory of religion: religion is essentially rooted in the experience of intense psychedelic tripping, the world religions consist of collections of stories which serve as metaphorical descriptions of psychedelic experiences (in particular the experience of mystical death and rebirth/ressurection/transformation).

This theory fits with the scientific evidence that entheogenic drugs trigger mystical/religious type experiences when they are administered in an appropriately conducive setting (the recent Johns Hopkins psilocybin study concluded this).

It would be interesting to get the atheist take on this theory, the issue here isnt religious beliefs (such as the belief in God) but rather religious/mystical/transcendent experiences of the kind that people commonly experience under the influence of entheogenic/psychedelic substances.

Views: 2174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not claiming anything. I'm not denying that hallucinogens cause hallucinations and experiences that can seem religious. I'm saying that just asking questions doesn't answer them. There really is no way to say for sure that religion has its origins in being stoned.

As a result, you're mimicking the Ancient Aliens technique of raising interesting questions for which there really are no answers.

Besides, as I asked, so what if it's true? Let's even imagine the impossible: suppose you can prove it's true. Where do you go from there?

"Besides, as I asked, so what if it's true? Let's even imagine the impossible: suppose you can prove it's true. Where do you go from there?"

I know - there are so many 'what if's'

But what if drugs didn't influence religious thought but enhanced our vocabulary and creativity which then motivated us to express our thoughts in the form of art - music and language.

Because a lot of people who use drugs say that the drugs help them express or evoke whats already there.

Then I can offer the same critique to THOSE what ifs.

AS<J  :  some people do say that. 

It is not a 'vague supposition' to claim that entheogens commonly cause people to have religious/mystical experiences.

Likewise, it's not vague supposition that getting wasted on psychedelic drugs commonly causes hallucinations, euphoria, paranoia and psychosis, which leads to errors in judgement.

You can file the "I can drive through time" experience in the same folder as the "I can connect with God" experience: a glamourous hallucination projected over the less appealing reality that you're just a crackpot uselessly destroying your mind with drugs.

There is something very misleading about that LSD article.

How do they know he was drunk?

Because its extremely difficult to get drunk on LSD.

If the man looked drunk and acted drunk - then he was drunk.

There are just too many holes in that article to be believed.

Goodness. You're not stalking me are you, Stole?

There is something very misleading about that LSD article. How do they know he was drunk?

He admitted in court that he had been drinking and using LSD.

He told the police he intentionally crossed the center line and drove head-on into an oncoming car because, "I thought I could time travel and drive through (the other car). I wanted to see what would happen."

A model citizen of sober driving.

Because its extremely difficult to get drunk on LSD.

It's rather easy to get drunk from drinking and impaired from using LSD.

If the man looked drunk and acted drunk - then he was drunk. There are just too many holes in that article to be believed.

So you believe in 'Jesus empathy' versus 'secular empathy', that Catholics need to be Catholic, and that empathy is taught like a language, but can't believe that a man was drunk from using alcohol and drugs.

You have the most delightfully odd sense of credulity.

Hi Gallup

"Goodness. You're not stalking me are you, Stole?"

No - Im not stalking you - its just a coincidence that I've moved into the tree right next to your bedroom window,

"He admitted in court that he had been drinking and using LSD."

Yep

It's rather easy to get drunk from drinking and impaired from using LSD.

Drinking impairs -  LSD improves

So you believe in 'Jesus empathy' versus 'secular empathy', that Catholics need to be Catholic, and that empathy is taught like a language, but can't believe that a man was drunk from using alcohol and drugs.

Jesus is a good model of empathy - thats true

empathy is learned in a similar way to language - thats true

Catholics and other religious show far superior empathic traits that do atheists. - thats true.

are you deliberately going off topic for a reason Gallup?

"but can't believe that a man was drunk from using alcohol and drugs".

The man was drunk from alcohol - not drugs.

I just want to defend the good drugs because  so many people who have never used them - seem to know so much about them simply by reading porridge news articles and hear say.

You have the most delightfully odd sense of credulity.

Thank You - : )

and by the way - your out of milk.

I'm not so sure though. 

Drinking impairs [driving] - LSD improves [driving]

Tell that to the driver that Terrence J. Rudes smashed into head-on because he thought he could time travel.

Jesus is a good model of empathy - thats true

No, that's just you avoiding what you said. You drew a distinction between types of empathy: 'Jesus empathy' and 'secular empathy' without explaining what this rubbish is supposed to mean. That is not the same as simply stating that Jesus is a good model (for "empathy" or anything else).

empathy is learned in a similar way to language - thats true

No, that's ridiculous. Empathy is not like a language. That's why you stopped responding to where we left off in the thread.

Catholics and other religious show far superior empathic traits that do atheists. - thats true.

No, that's a baseless slur that atheists are inferior to Catholics and other religious simply because they are atheists. You said Catholics need to be Catholic and you've avoided it ever since because it's absurd.

are you deliberately going off topic for a reason Gallup?

I didn't go off topic. I cited three past examples of nutty things you believe while you refuse to believe that a man on drugs and alcohol could be drunk (impaired, if you like), which was very much on topic.

Gallup: "but can't believe that a man was drunk from using alcohol and drugs".

Stole: The man was drunk from alcohol - not drugs.

Yes, thank you, Stole. Drunk from the alcohol. Impaired from the LSD. 

I just want to defend the good drugs because so many people who have never used them - seem to know so much about them simply by reading porridge news articles and hear say.

It's not hearsay. The man explained to the police and in a court of law what he did and why he did it: he crossed the center line and crashed head-on into the oncoming car because he thought he could travel backward in time and drive right through the other car. Even if he had never touched a drop of alcohol, driving a car while on a psychedelic LSD trip is a mind-bogglingly stupid move.

Thank You - : ) 

You're welcome, Stole. Please continue to display your feeble critical thinking abilities, intellectual dishonesty, and poor communication skills for my ongoing amusement.

and by the way - your out of milk.

Case in point

It never gets old, you know.

DUI= Driving under the influence, whether it's alcohol or drugs it's still illegal and dangerous. Both make people do stupid shit.

No one should be behind the wheel under the influence of alcohol, drugs, cough syrup, or even lack of sleep. I've have seen the destruction both drug and alcohol can do first hand while I was a law enforcement officer.

LSD improves (driving). Are you  insane stole?

I have taken LSD, have plenty of friends who did and i can tell you straight up i would rather get into the car with a drunk driver than someone tripping on a hallucinogenic substance.

The convoluted conclusion that most of you who have used hallucinogenic substances are drawing is actually  making me pretty embarrassed to admit my use of them.

RSS

Forum

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 3 hours ago. 29 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 3 hours ago. 11 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 3 hours ago. 2 Replies

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Derp McChuckles 3 hours ago. 4 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 11 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service