What are your thoughts?  In what ways is the church the devil's playground?  In my former career as a pastor, I had quietly come to this realization because of the injustices I often saw Christians commit against other Christians within the church, as well as to others outside the church.  It was often disheartening to see Christians talk so high and mighty about how worthy they were to "the Lord,"  and yet all the while be exactly the opposite.  It was even more damning and disgusting when I became the target of such ill will, when it came to putting child safety over church politics.  So I wonder what any of your thoughts were - particularly those who are former Christians.  What say you?

Please note, that I use the term "devil" not in it's generally accepted theological sense of an actual anthropomorphic being, but as a more loosely personification of the concept of evil and the injustices human beings often commit against each other.

Views: 1231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The last church I attended (to please a girl) was cool - the Church of the Servant - the minister, Norman Neaves, had been fired from a Baptist Church in Texas, which to me, were impressive credentials. He had his choir sing pop songs, rather than "Rock of Ages." Good man.

It probably doesn't help my credentials with the SBC that I have three tattoos now - two of which are not able to be covered entirely with a t-shirt, but I am purposely rejecting the "righteous" for the "damned" by doing that.  Not to mention two of the tattoos represent my liberation from their environment.  The third is in honor of my Wing Chun school.

Woohoo go you!  Laughing, when did you get inked?  What are they of?

Japanese Kanji: Ronin.  It's my Scarlet Letter:

Phoenix.  It gets colored in on Thursday.

And then my Wing Chun Academy Crest.  The pastor even tried to make me quit this art, but it's a part of my soul and no one can take it away but me:

Wow!  You weren't talking 'little rosebuds' were you?  They're awesome! Way to go, mate

Nope.  I figured: "If I'm going to do it, I'm going to be real about it."  I had often thought in the past about getting a tattoo, but was always prevented in doing so.  Call it not being fully committed to a design, not enough cash on hand, or concerned about issues surrounding the church. But remember: I recently took the pill fukitol - not to mention that the psychological hell I went through warranted physical scars of remembrance and defiance in becoming who I am.

Yeah, I knew the Phoenix - great guy to pal around with if you happen to have some extra marshmallows! I probably should never have introduced him to Icarus --

Bahahaha!

The first one was the CRCA crest, March 8th.  The Kanji and Phoenix were done together on June 27th, with the Kanji colored in last Thursday.  The artist is one of the best in the business.  Featured in Inked Magazine, and possesses multiple industry awards for his art.

I'm not condemning what you're doing Barry, but tats are not for me - I just can't see messing with perfection. I'd sooner draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

RSS

Forum

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 44 minutes ago. 46 Replies

What is "Rational thinking"?

Started by Roy Plisko in Physics, Astronomy, Cosmology. Last reply by Roy Plisko 52 minutes ago. 176 Replies

The Angelina Jolie Effect

Started by Belle Rose in Biology and Medicine. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 hour ago. 4 Replies

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service