The Burden of the White Male is the Responsiblity of the White Male

What made me think of this topic was another discussion that has been going on here about white males. 

Here's my opinion; We as white males, specifically who live in the United States, are in the highest position of power and more importantly comfort than any other group or demographic definitely in the country and arguably in the world. We rarely feel discomfort or to put it more succinctly, we rarely feel the discomfort of the "other". The discomfort of the woman or the person of color or the immigrant are three that stick out in my mind. I'm sure there are others.  We do not get looked at differently because of our skin or or body type or the way we dress. We are not judged because of these attributes or characteristics. We rarely feel the wrath of stereotyping we so often put on others. So when we hear anger from persons of color, immigrants or women, instead of reacting, we need to step back and listen. The burden is on us. Whether we like it or not, racism and misogyny is very much built into our society and we need to take the responsibility to deal with it more than any other group.

So for all white males out there, I challenge you, think before you react. Take the role of the other. Most importantnly, put yourself in situations of discomfort as much as possible. Attend an event that you are the minority, not the majority and see how you feel. This is our burden.

My question to you is; do you think this is our role to take? Do you think this is important? How do you, as a white male, see what your role or responsibility is in your society, United States or otherwise?

Views: 371

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK - so definitely an entirely pointless discussion.  You are absolutely determined to misrepresent.

I'm done.

The good news, a black man has been elected the President. The bad news, racism is still prevalent. I live in Baltimore and if you go into many of the neighborhoods you will see exactly the disparity that many black people live with. Yes huge strides have been made, but that does not mean you issues of race should be forgotten. Inequality both racial and gender is rampant. But my point is not to say we should feel responsible for that, my point is that we should only recognize it. Deal with it as each of us, white men, sees fit to do so. Address it or don't. That's up to you. To me however, sticking up for someone who is an atheist who is discriminated against is the same as sticking up for people who are different than me.

Oh sure , If you're asking me to help address the issue , fine.  I can get on board with that.  

But I refuse to be told it's my problem and that I should feel responsible.  

And sir , I live 20 minutes from Baltimore.  The racism goes both ways ....... more than just socioeconomically even.  White people should not go into the inner cities of Baltimore.  There are some streets I've been told by black co workers to make sure I stay off of if I decide to venture in.  

The main reason the black person won't get hired is because they often times show up at an interview with baggy jeans , some sort of 'swagger' that makes them look just ridiculous and poor social skills paired with the inability to articulate.  I wouldn't hire ANYONE if they can't wear something nice and be able to communicate correctly and YES I have seen many white people do the same.  

The differences though in what I see between poor blacks , poor whites and poor hispanics is that the hispanics are always very polite . say thank you , say please , don't have that ridiculous swagger even though their dress attire is still that of a poor minority.  They can't communicate simply because they don't speak fluent english.  

It isn't about skin color.  It's about practicality in what managers are looking for.  It isn't because someone is black or white.  It isn't about socioeconomic standards.  It's about attitude, communication skills and the ability to show you have respect for job opportunities by wearing a decent set of clothes!  

Hoorah racism is alive and well at Think Atheist!

Sheesh, do you even listen to yourself???????????

The only racism is the accepted racims against the white man.

Guess what people? I am Iranian. I was born in Iran and came to the U.S. when I was 3. My father was born in Iran and came to the U.S. to attend high school by himself alone in the states when he was 16-years old (before the revolution) and later went back to Iran and met my mother (now divorced) and we left Iran when I was 3 during the Iran-Iraq war bombs. We lived in Turkey for 6-months and lived in a refugee camp in Belgium for under a year before settling in California. My father did not use excuses for being an immigrant from Iran - mind you an Iran in which an anti-American regime came to power with chants of "Death to America" and the burning of American flags, and American hostages being taken for 444 days. Do you think they disliked anyone at that moment in the United States more than Iranians??

Anyhow, my dad built a life for himself and became successful. No excuses. Guess what else? Iranians in the United States tend to be among the wealthiest minority groups in the United States. Why is this so? Because we have never used excuses, have a culture that values education, and work hard to be successful. Just think about that. We didn't allow a self-fulfilling prophecy and learned helplessness to be a part of who we are - so although I am technically "white" as Iranians are "aryan" - I am not considered white by any imagination by other Americans and my dad certainly was not - and Iranians are very respected members and fellow American citizens throughout the United States - particularly in Southern California.

Sassan I am not suggesting that you cannot be a success if you are an immigrant or person of color. Can you honestly tell me you have never lived a day in your life when you have been the brunt of a stereotype because of the color of your skin? Can you ask your dad is he has?
Nope (especially  for me since I live in Southern California) but even if I was or my father ever was - he didn't use it for an excuse and the Persian community didn't use it for an excuse. Anyone can look for an excuse to keep themselves down - I find that as weak character and weak culture. For example - what do the Muslims always do? Blame everything on the "Zionists" - very weak character instead of taking responsibility for their own lives.

Sassan doesn't but those damn Mexicans they are going to cause nothing but trouble, the American way of life is going to disappear.

Oh wait, "very weak character instead of taking responsibility for their own lives."

I take responsibility for my life - but we have to take responsibility as a nation in enforcing our borders and protecting our sovereignty. You can try to wishy wash it in any way you may try - but the facts remain that the United States is one of the few nations in the world in which children born to illegal immigrants automatically become citizens - and the demographic numbers are childbearing rates are atrocious in the Mexican community. This is about protecting America's future and sovereignty from people who when they ironically protest in LA - they wave Mexican flags despite being illegal. A people who booed our national anthem in a soccer game in the Rose Bowl a couple of weeks ago - this is a significant group of people who see no need in becoming assimilated Americans.

BTW, do you admit you were wrong about Mexicans and their "ancestry"?

No
Well you were buddy - the Mexicans slaughtered their fair share of Native Americans.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

It's all Greek to me

Posted by Simon Mathews on April 15, 2015 at 4:14am 17 Comments

Free at last

Posted by Belle Rose on April 15, 2015 at 1:00am 3 Comments

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service