Have you ever wondered how religion has influenced our language just try exclaiming!!!!

• OMG!
  • Good God!
  • Oh God!
  • Jesus Christ!
  • Gor blimey! (God blind me)
  • Crikey! (Christ's keys) etc etc

Does anyone have any decent non-theist exclamations? 

Views: 1386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you are in "polite company" you might have to go with "perforated feces"

LOL. Just because the words are no longer objectionable, the imagery remains a little more that what my grandma would consider polite.

Soooo many. When I get mad I usually yell that word that Ken and Ryu from Street Fighter say when they do that spinny kick. It comes out sounding like this: "Sensetsatsyuken!" You have to grunt it as much as yell it.

In Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Vol. 2) there's this panel where Mr. Hyde walks out and sees the Martians destroying London, and his jaw drops and he says "God's balls." That's stuck with me, good for something kind of shocking obviously.

- "My stars and garters" is nice for your more casual exclamatory needs.
- "Bob Saget" when you're annoyed by something.
- "Jupiter's cock!" Funny and relevant.
- "Jimminy flocking Christmas"

I'm trying to cut down on my swearing, since I have a baby on the way and I'd rather not have him or her cursing up the place and getting in trouble at school or with his or her grandma. But, I do say "holy shit", "holy crap", "hot damn", "goddammit", and "what the hell" a lot.

All of which are from our ignorant, indoctrinated religious past (albeit modern and slightly irreverent). 

ps I'm not calling you ignorant. It is deeply ingrained in all of us - well it is in me at least and from the posts here, in many others too.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 25 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service