Have you ever wondered how religion has influenced our language just try exclaiming!!!!

• OMG!
  • Good God!
  • Oh God!
  • Jesus Christ!
  • Gor blimey! (God blind me)
  • Crikey! (Christ's keys) etc etc

Does anyone have any decent non-theist exclamations? 

Views: 1421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The best kind of theology is bedroom theology

That was brilliant Reg. Nice one.

I met a woman recently and we got to talking about Atheism. Turned out she was a very militant Atheist. All I could think was “there must be a god” – lol. Anyway we decided beforehand to use only the names of Greek or Roman gods so it was hilarious. I think she called me Hitchens once but that’s ok. Haha.

Heavens!

Heaven forbid!

It's a miracle!

Like the devil (e.g., "It hurts like the devil")

Angels (e.g., "You're an angel!")

Holy (whatever, e.g., Holy shit!)

The other night I came up with 'Thank Gord!'

I'm going to try to use it whenever I can.

Almost as good as Cheeses is lard.

Love the irony but it is still God by proxy

i catch myself saying a whole bunch of religious stuff.. it's kind of embedded in the arabic language.. so i make up words.. in english too.. an example would be "bazinga" from the big bang theory..

i've caught myself blabbering words like "oh my george" " oh godzilla" "for the love of humus"..

:D

I love "for the love of hummus" .. Have to tell that to my wife LOL

Purging religious references from your language is a very silly gesture. Besides, using them is sacrilegious, which is why I will continue to use them.

For once Unseen, we agree - to even consider purging them grants them a significance they haven't earned.

pax vobiscum,
archaeopteryx
www.in-His-own-image.com

By doing this, we're essentially "hijacking" these things just like we do holidays, diluting them, changing their very meanings. Just another delightful example of how religions are etched away like any other culture, bit by bit.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 12 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service