Have you ever wondered how religion has influenced our language just try exclaiming!!!!

• OMG!
  • Good God!
  • Oh God!
  • Jesus Christ!
  • Gor blimey! (God blind me)
  • Crikey! (Christ's keys) etc etc

Does anyone have any decent non-theist exclamations? 

Views: 1421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You forgot to add, "Baby!" Oh wait, that's not Spanish, that's Schwarzeneggerese --

ahah! come-with-me-if-you-want-to-live! B-(

That's why it's always best to quote a Muppet - in this case, Oscar the Grouch.

"Now get lost!"

Or as my Mother used to say to me as she tucked me lovingly into bed every night, "Now STFU!"

By Jove is another.

"Jove" is Jehova, aka Yahweh, aka, god.

Jove is another name for Jupiter the Roman derivative of Zeus. Probably amounts to the same thing anyway, the dominant God in the hood.

Hmmm - I think you're right - Jupiter is known as the "Jovian" planet - my only excuse is that I'm still working on that first cup of coffee --

I am right but I think you probably are too. Jehovah could well come from Jove as the Jewish god replaced the dominant god of the area.

Actually, Jehova is a misnomer. Though Vanna White is no longer a spring chicken, she wasn't around in biblical times, so the ancient Jews were unable to buy any vowels. Yahweh was written, "YHWH." When it was first found in Jewish writing, it was thought to be "JHWH," so the big guy became known as "Jehova," later, the error was discovered, corrected, and "Yahweh" took its place.

So are you saying that Jove and Jehovah are not etymologically  related?

And why were they unable to buy vowels? Vowel stores closed down? Aggressive consonants mugging people who went to the vowel store? Very odd.

I don't believe they are, and wish I'd never posted it - it was caffeine deficiency talking.

As for why ancient Hebrew had no vowels, I don't know, but Google Yahweh, and you'll see I'm right.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 13 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service