Have you ever wondered how religion has influenced our language just try exclaiming!!!!

• OMG!
  • Good God!
  • Oh God!
  • Jesus Christ!
  • Gor blimey! (God blind me)
  • Crikey! (Christ's keys) etc etc

Does anyone have any decent non-theist exclamations? 

Views: 1421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If a Lullaby comes from "Lilith-Abi" (Hebrew for "Lilith, begone"), why can't Goodbye be "God begone"? :)

@archeopteryx. Really? right that's goodbye scratched out of my vocab (might be tricky). So what is hello then? Nothing to do with hell surely?

Ahah no the etymology of "hello" is the same of the ancient term "hail" :D

Hail Ceci!!

Thank [fill-this-space] for that! Hello is a great word.

:D

No, it's English, and comes from a call that travels well in terms of distance, and somewhat imitates the sound of blowing on a ram's horn, "Halloooooo!"

I never say goodbye.. I always say "See ya" ...

In italian (and generally in neolatin languages) "goodbye" correspinds to "addio/adieu/adios", where the A is the remaining part of a whole sentence that originally was "i recommend you - to god". A(d)dio's meaning infact is literally "to god" ;)

French also has the more commonly-used au revoir, which is secular. Are there equivalents in Italian and Spanish?

"Vaya bien," in Spanish, means, "Go well" - "nos vemos" means, "we'll see each other," or, "see ya."

I can't write it or even pronounce if, but I once had a friend from Hong Kong who told me the Chinese "goodbye" is a very poignant one - translated, it means, "walk away slowly" --

That is very poignant indeed. Language is so wonderful.

yes dear, in italian we use "arrivederci", that became a single word from the original expression "a rivederci" (like "a dio" that became "addio"), and that is the literal equivalent of "au revoir" :)

in spanish is the same with "hasta la vista" ;)

RSS

Forum

The Cross

Started by Belle Rose in Religion and the Religious, Atheism and Atheists. Last reply by Davis Goodman 4 hours ago. 21 Replies

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Simon Mathews 12 hours ago. 18 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by MikeLong 23 hours ago. 38 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service