Legislation has recently passed in Tennessee that will allow teachers and students to question current "controversial theories" like evolution, climate change, stem cell research, cloning, etc. This bill will also give protection to teachers who put forth religious beliefs and creationism as a viable and factual alternative to evolution. Here is a link to more information.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-tennessee-cre...

I just wanted to see what input and opinions you guys have on this. I am a member of Americans United for Seperation of Church and State, so these issues are important to me and I pay a lot of attention when bills like this are passed.

I must add a plug here. Check us out, stay informed, and get involved at www.au.org

In my opinion, this legislation is a direct violation of church/state seperation. Also, I am sure everyone here is familiar with the term "captive audience'? Meaning these children have no choice but to remain in the classroom and be subjected to the religious nonsense this bill would allow. Well, feel free to give me your opinions.

Tags: Church, Evolution, and, legislation, state

Views: 293

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One step forward. Two steps back.

This is too ridiculous. This has got to stop. I'm done with being apathetic about voting. I'm glad I renewed my voters' registration this year.

Those of us who do feel strongly about these things really should get involved and be less apathetic. If we don't make our voices heard, the theists win. I hope everyone checked out the link I posted to Americans United. We are a political watchdog group that stays alert and gets involved with this stuff in every state, every bill, every time. And offer legal services free of charge to anyone whose rights are violated y these bullshit laws.

At times like these, I'm so happy to actually live in a country where even our (deeply) religious politicians wouldn't dare to violate the separation of church and state in such a way.

At times like these, I'm so happy to actually live in a country (USA) where even our (deeply) "non-believer" politicians wouldn't dare to question the separation of church and state in such a way. [/sarcasm]

The 1925 “monkey trial” was held in, let me see, where was that?  Oh yeah! TENNESSEE.  So what else is new?

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Lewal 29 minutes ago. 66 Replies

Analyzing Ferguson

Started by Unseen in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 10 Replies

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 8 hours ago. 19 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 10 hours ago. 63 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service