Often you see people in a graveyard talking to departed loved ones.  Being an Atheist, I do not believe in any form of life after death.  I don't believe that we have souls that go on living after our body dies.  This being said, do you ever find yourself speaking to the air in a graveyard?

Views: 639

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I talk to my dog, but I know he doesn't understand but very little of it.

@ Gabriela

"someone who's scared of death, and that's the most ridiculous fear, because you will have to face it, sooner or later."

I have to ask how you can catergorize fear? Fear is an essential human emotional response that ties directly with self-preservation. It may in retrospect be unfounded but at the time you experience fear it is anything but ridiculous. Vocalizing grief is part of a healing process just as crying is.

I already explained this to other 2 users, Im not going to repeat myself 3 times.

I've never found myself talking to a grave, but I've only been to two where I knew anyone there. 1) My grandfather: I was a believer way back then, but it was his funeral and I remember being too sad to collect my thoughts in such a way to begin with. 2) The father of my wife's friend: Again it was a funeral. But I also didn't know him either.

The closest I could say I've come is looking at a picture of my old pets that I've lost through the years. When I think of them, I still miss them. I've caught myself remembering them and maybe think to myself "Koons, you were a great friend", but not in a 'talking to them' sort of way, so much as a reminiscing sort of way.

But then again, I talk to my cats everyday, regardless of the fact that they likely don't understand most of it. But at least one of them communicates with me regularly (meows) and I swear he understands me better than the others. :)

I am with you.  I don't think, I "know" my dogs understand everything I say.  Yeah, they are only responding to my actions which they have learned over time.

I have visited my grandmother's grave a few times and taken flowers.  It is not my thinking she knows I am there or anything like that.  It is just a matter of respect and remembering her with great love.

I am surely not afraid of death.  

To answer the question asked... "no".  Apparently I am a little strange, the death of some one I care about doesn't seem to affect me in a negative way. Sure I miss that person, but I don't seem to grieve in any traditional manner.

Dealing with dying and the death of loved one's is a very difficult subject that brings out many things in many people. Please respect that and please keep in mind while discussing and replying to each other that the comments need to be kept on point with the topic. Personal attacks and comments are not allowed per TA Guidelines. 

Thank you.

Yes, I speak to my best friend who died young of meningitis. I know he cannot hear me and am fully aware that I am speaking as a form of therapy - telling him all the things I would have spoken to him about if he was still here. I feel better afterwards.

Nope.  My husband's family is big on going to the graveyard en masse and drinking vodka with the dead Russian grandparents.  My husband goes to see his dead best friend.  When we lived in town, I loved the graveyard-- to jog in.  Nicely paved, peaceful, no cars.  I like looking at old headstones.  I don't want to be buried, though.  Waste of useable space.  Well, unless I can be buried in the backyard minus the casket and fertilize the flora and fauna, but so far, my husband is really balking at that.  Go figure.

I do it quite often and rarely is it at the cemetary.  I have lost 3 family members in four years, including my dad, and sometimes I'll make comments to him or tell grandma that it's snowing because she HATED snow!!  Do I believe they can actually hear me? No.  But when I miss them it can be a "comforting" feeling to say something.  I think it's just in our nature to look for comfort when you lose a loved one and there really is not anything right or wrong about it. Perhaps it is an attempt to make them "alive" to us.

Sometimes I see a situation and it just pops into my head how my Grandpa Earl would have viewed it -> he was a very simple man and often overwhelmed by things that, to me, are commonplace.  So I'll see a situation, and suddenly think about how he would react, all shocked, or making a scene, and I laugh and sort of mutter under my breath, "Oh, Grandpa, c'mon!"  Anyway, I know he's dead and gone, but a part of him will always be with me and that's the only type of soul I recognize.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service