An atheist friend of mine posted this on Facebook saying that she didn't agree with the FFRF trying to get this cross taken down. As a veteran and an atheist, I tend to agree for a couple reasons. First, I see it as simply a memorial to a fallen soldier and no more no less. Secondly, and maybe more importantly, this cross has been there for years and years. Why waste taxpayers dollars on the legal fight... I don't see it hurting anything.. Thoughts?

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/atheists-want-viet...

Views: 975

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is same thing as 

A New York judge has thrown out a lawsuit filed by a group of atheists, ruling that a pair of World Trade Center beams in the shape of a cross can be included in a memorial museum of the 9/11 terror attacks.
American Atheists filed the lawsuit in July, arguing that the "government enshrinement of the cross" was an impermissible mingling of church and state.

The cross was moved in July from near a church to its new home at the 9/11 Memorial and Museum

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/29/us/new-york-911-museum-cross/index.ht...

This is the same exact thing pretty much. The same arguments apply. 

What about all the non christians that died? How do you think they would feel if they were alive today and found out that in their War Memorial there is a giant cross sitting there? These things are wrong and you are missing the implications of it. It is just pretty much replacing a real event with a religious symbol to use the event to promote Christianity which in the end reduces the value of the memorial itself.

It should be all or nothing. Have all the different religious and non religious symbols or none at all. Public property should no't be endorsing any religion. Do it on a private property.

It's not a matter of wasting tax dollars. It's the matter of principle guided by our Constitution. It's about time free thinkers stood up for their rights rather than let Christians use tyranny of the majority to over step their boundaries just because its not "hurting" anyone

Emphatically agree.

How dare these people just assume everyone is Christian, and how dare they use tax money forcibly extracted from people to push their bullshit regardless of who is being honored?  Then they'll have the audacity to claim there are no atheists in foxholes and the audacity to claim this is a Christian country and if you don't like it you can leave.

Makes my blood boil the way they are so sanctimoniously smug about it.

"Makes my blood boil the way they are so sanctimoniously smug about it".

Where are you feeling that Steve?

Erected in part by the "Jaycees"... ah got it, the  J. C. 's

We believe: That faith in God gives meaning and purpose to human life;....

Christian are insidious in their efforts to impose their religion upon all, veiling it as "doing secular good". They drafted many of their poorer Christian sons to kill godless commie gooks, and then feel better about their tyranny by monopolizing memorials.

I guess it's a good thing for the Christians that intersecting steel beams are more architecturally sound than beams in the shapes of crescents or stars of David .

Actually you could make a sort of star of David out of triangles (the center hexagon would be filled in as six triangles) which are even more rigid.  So maybe Judaism is sounder than Xianity?  (Well at least there's none of that whacky trinity bullshit.)

I say leave it.

Atheists like that embarrass me really.

Culture Killers they are. Thats my new term for those types.

Havent they got anything more important to do.

Like picking up litter maybe.

Replicas of first century Roman torture and execution devices should not be on display on public property . This is not only a flagrant violation of both the letter and spirit of our constititution , but may be frightening to children ,and cause poorly educated , ignorant adults to behave like horses assses .
Culture killers are the evangelical assholes who believe we are in " end times " , therefore , none of the hard work of scientific research , medicine , technology , literature , music , or anything else that gives meaning to human existence needs to continue . These brainless maggots believe in death more than life and desire the end of civilization in order for their ignorant , superstitious , childish fantasies of continued existence beyond death to be reinforced . Their idiocy is so complete , that they lack the capacity to imagine existence without their inflated , arrogant egos as eternal witnesses or participants .

So, Angela, you're suggesting we look on the bright side of life?

Ah yes thank you for the clip.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 57 minutes ago. 20 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service