An atheist friend of mine posted this on Facebook saying that she didn't agree with the FFRF trying to get this cross taken down. As a veteran and an atheist, I tend to agree for a couple reasons. First, I see it as simply a memorial to a fallen soldier and no more no less. Secondly, and maybe more importantly, this cross has been there for years and years. Why waste taxpayers dollars on the legal fight... I don't see it hurting anything.. Thoughts?

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/atheists-want-viet...

Views: 1132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It just seems to me that there are bigger fish to fry - no, there are 'other' fish to fry, not necessarily bigger. Religions of all persuasions are surreptitious, and creeping. xians really can't see the problem, which is the problem. As there are so many crosses around, what does one more make,and that is the problem, creeping into secular territory, insidious.

It just seems to me that there are bigger fish to fry - no, there are 'other' fish to fry, not necessarily bigger. This is how xians, or any religion works, surreptitiously, and become all indignant.

They have moved, or rather settled, into secular territory.

Put up an Atheist symbol, and the xians would turn purple with rage.

RE: "Put up an Atheist symbol, and the xians would turn purple with rage."

I accidentally ran across my High School sweetheart a year or so ago, after months of arduous cyber-stalking, and we began an email correspondence. At one point, she sent me a URL, asking me to sign a petition to have a cross installed on a certain courthouse lawn. As I didn't want to waste all of my effort by explaining my atheism and losing touch with her entirely, I instead tried to reason with her, explaining the Constitutional separation of church and State, and reminding her that if a Christian cross were allowed on a government property, other religions would have an equal right to place their symbols there as well. To illustrate my point, I included a jpeg of Ganesh, the Hindu 4-armed, elephant-headed boy, and asked how she'd like to see a statue of THAT on her courthouse lawn. I never heard from her again - (heavy sigh) --

Dodged that bullet.

But xians think it is - that is the point - they think they have free rein, and get very upset when they are questioned. It is the arrogance of religions that upset me.

Who are you responding to here?  Please use the reply button under what you are replying to OR at least an @so-and-so.  At least then we'll know who you are agreeing with.

You Stephen, and I did hit the reply button. Wasn't working, and the reply disappeared, which is why I answered twice. 

I was confused at you questioning me, what didn't you understand?

But xians think it is - that is the point - they think they have free rein, and get very upset when they are questioned. It is the arrogance of religions that upset me.

Your comment appears to be intended as a response to someone's post.  Whose?

The erection of these structures is in effect subliminal advertising. It serves as a form of subconscious reinforcement that you live in an environment where the religion of choice is a christian one. To allow these structures to remain only helps perpetuate the myth of Jesus and his reason for dying. Public property has to remain a fortress for secular freedom. Whether an inscription of the Ten Commandments or a scene of the nativity ALL religious displays have no place on public property. To permit religious structures to remain is in effect allowing discrimination to survive and persist. 

On the Supreme Court Frieze, Moses' beard covers up "thou shalt not" (לא) on each of these commandments so the text reads "murder" (תרצח), "commit adultery" (תנאף), and "steal" (תגנב).

You just can't make it up! 

As a soldier and an Atheist, I would be pissed if someone tried to put a cross in memorial to me. My id tags say "non-denom" for a reason.

With all due respect, no, you wouldn't - you'd be dead, and the dead don't get pissed.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service