Let's have a brainstorm about ways ThinkAtheist could be improved!

Big or small, any thoughts are welcome! TA is a great site/community and I'd love to help it strive to maximize its potential. Who knows, maybe one of our ideas will get implemented by a Mod.

Anyway I'll start off with this:

The comments section in Discussions should operate more like Reddit comments, in which comments form a tree-structure, and entire branches of that tree can be minimized with a simple "[-]" button. This would make it so you can see a wider variety of responses more quickly, and follow the comment-threads that interest you. As it is, there is a tree-structure, but branches cannot be minimized, so people often reply to a reply to a comment, rather than replying directly to the appropriate comment. 

Tags: atheist, better, brainstorm, ideas, improve, improvement, make, site, think, website

Views: 232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If the people who administrate the site aren't the people who control the site, then who makes the decisions for the layout and design of the website?

I think Nelson means to say that TA uses some sort of pre-built software to run, and that pre-built software cannot be changed by TA admins, since either they don't have the rights to do so, or they are not computer programmers.

Fully understandable, and tbh I actually expected this. But what the hell, let's brainstorm anyway! At the very least it can affect decisions if TA ever needs to update its software.

I see. I just assumed things were more flexible than that.

Think Atheist is hosted on Ning, a turnkey provider of social websites. TA would have to switch to an independent provider and use Drupal or Joomla to get the level of customization you have in mind.

That would be difficult or impossible to do while still keeping the existing TA user accounts and content: classic vendor lock-in. Still, it's a nice-looking site and the overall functionality is good. No need to mess with it.

-----------

The one improvement I'd suggest: review the Not Suitable For Work editorial policy. I wrote to Morgan Mathew about this recently and got no response. So I mention it again here.

Which one would you cover with your hand when your boss walks in?

An article entitled:

Do you let your
guy cum inside you?

or

The image of a Tunisian apostate with a knife at his throat.

I posted the above on-topic image-- as a link to play a video showing the beheading-- and it was removed. But the off-topic article about where your guy cums is still up. I'm trying to make sense of that. I would appreciate a bit of discussion about it, here or in another thread about the TA editorial policy.

GM, much as with the law, the editorial policies of this site are clearly stated - also, much as with the law, the enforcement of those policies seem to depend on who is doing the enforcing.

I have no idea how many moderators there are, but they appear to differ significantly in effectiveness. Of three I'm aware of, one appears fair, one does little if any moderating, while the third appears to believe in applying tourniquets to hangnails. As Kurt Vonnegut was fond of saying, "And so it goes."

a separate "nsfw" section would fix this problem. Btw, I consider both of those topics nsfw.

@Sagacious - I know that in the case of my own site, I was offered a wide variety of choices of templates, I made mine, then replaced the graphics that were on the original template with my own graphics, but although I made many, many changes to the looks of the template, I had no means of actually altering the format. I believe that's what Nelson, in his own inimitable fashion, is trying to say.

This might be off of everyone else's radar, but how I found TA and how I see a lot of the posts is via my Android phone. When replying it brings you to a site named disqus, which no one here uses as far as I can tell. 

Replying via the phone is somewhat difficult, but I won't put that on you. 

Otherwise, I am thrilled with the content and appreciative that it exists. Thanks.

Hi Melvinotis, check out the mobile version of TA just add a /m after the .com so www.thinkatheist.com/m

At the bottom of a multi-page thread, there is the option to go forward and back through the pages.  Only cosmetic, but can that option also be put at the top of each page.

Also, do I see a change in the number of Big Discussions shown on the right side bar?  I could have sworn there were only 5 before, but I like 8 a lot.  More is good.

I'll look into that Strega. 

also an option to list more comments per page might be nice... so you don't have to click next-page 16 times to get through a whole discussion

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Kairan Nierde 40 minutes ago. 12 Replies

East German Shame

Started by Davis Goodman in Law, Trials, and Decisions. Last reply by Davis Goodman 54 minutes ago. 14 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 1 hour ago. 26 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 27 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service