I recently confronted suicide not once, or twice... but three times. One of these is still occurring. 

What I haven't explained in the article I published on suicide is how much I still blame religion. These are personal feelings, and don't belong in a public service piece; so I will go into that here:

When a person is religious, they create an acceptance of their lifespan never truly ending. A religious person finds this life to be utterly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, except perhaps providing the proper ID for the "real life", or afterlife as it is commonly referred to.

This notion of there being an immortal lifespan tends to break down the value of life and the finality of death. In the mind of the believer, it isn't a matter of not living that draws concern, but the matter of where you end up. Of course you won't stop existing! Are you mad? You have a soul, you fool!

In the minds of many, there is this idea that all it takes to get into heaven is for you to be sorry for being a filthy sinner and acknowledge the Lord God. Bam! Heaven time!

What value is living if you manage to truly believe paradise is just a snuff-film away? The reason you won't find these thoughts specifically in my article is because I am not a neurologist, psychologist, or any other -ologist of note in which I can legitimately make these claims in official print. I am, however, damn smart... smart enough to know how dumb I am... so these thoughts lay here appropriately marked as "opinion" and cast out for the open forum. 

I'm wanting to generate dialogue on this, so I'll stop here and ask: what do you think?
Like and share the article on your various medias please.

I don't respond to comments on the article, so if you want to open a dialogue- speak here.

Views: 1625

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The starving African children also have that chubby middle-aged guy on TV who stands next to some poor kid and asks us if we can let him starve. Well, no, I don't want that kid to starve nor any of millions of other starving or undernourished kids around the world. And especially since there's actually a food surplus, almost entirely due to the farming productivity of the US. Of course, starving people don't give a hang if the food comes from factory farms using Monsanto seeds.

On the other hand, if all those kids who die of starvation didn't, where would that leave us in 50 years?

@ Holo Gram -

"You would think that the mother polar bear would have had enough sense to go inland and rummage through people's garbage cans for food for her cubs.

Presumably that wasn't possible. 

"So you are saying that the cub had a slow starving to death of hope and the will to live?

No. 

I don't really understand your point, and I don't understand why you're arguing with what I said. 

Fair enough 

If discussion about suicide is not your concern, then I wonder why you bothered to respond. Have you had to deal with suicide personally?

Where's kOrsan when we need him? Well, I'll beat him to it: Aren't there already too many people in the world as it is?

Then I'll add my own bit. We have a right to commit suicide, don't we? If we don't, then we don't really own our existence. What gives others the right to interfere or intervene, and whence the necessity to do so?

Are you saying you are fine with the people in your family deciding to kill themselves? 

I didn't mention my family and I don't know why you insist on using the word "fine" which tends to imply a degree of enthusiasm.

By being consistent and saying they have the right to suicide it doesn't follow that I'm fine with it, if by fine you mean some kind of "happy." I can even imagine circumstances where I could not only be fine with their suicide but might assist them with it if that is their wish and if they convince me of the circumstances and of the fact that they need help.

At the same time, I own my life and I can refuse.

@Unseen - we've got the right to do whatever we like, but like Angela said, there are consequences to everything. 

You're right. Where is he? This is totally the type of conversation he'd interject into.

I am finding I might still be sensitive to the events that have transpired. Indeed, I am still stressed by some details, such as the girl being back in care of the mental hospital. 

At least she's still alive.  Think of it that way.  Could have been a lot worse.  This way, she has all the chances in the world.  You're her uncle figure, you've got a part to play here.  It's no big deal being in a mental hospital.  First time, it's shocking.  After that, it's routine. 

There is such a thing as the Healing Principle.  Promoting health and compassion, in oneself and others, in all kinds of ways, big and little: a way of life.  That's what will save her.  It's built into the very fabric of all life; a network of behaviour. 

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service