I recently confronted suicide not once, or twice... but three times. One of these is still occurring. 

What I haven't explained in the article I published on suicide is how much I still blame religion. These are personal feelings, and don't belong in a public service piece; so I will go into that here:

When a person is religious, they create an acceptance of their lifespan never truly ending. A religious person finds this life to be utterly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, except perhaps providing the proper ID for the "real life", or afterlife as it is commonly referred to.

This notion of there being an immortal lifespan tends to break down the value of life and the finality of death. In the mind of the believer, it isn't a matter of not living that draws concern, but the matter of where you end up. Of course you won't stop existing! Are you mad? You have a soul, you fool!

In the minds of many, there is this idea that all it takes to get into heaven is for you to be sorry for being a filthy sinner and acknowledge the Lord God. Bam! Heaven time!

What value is living if you manage to truly believe paradise is just a snuff-film away? The reason you won't find these thoughts specifically in my article is because I am not a neurologist, psychologist, or any other -ologist of note in which I can legitimately make these claims in official print. I am, however, damn smart... smart enough to know how dumb I am... so these thoughts lay here appropriately marked as "opinion" and cast out for the open forum. 

I'm wanting to generate dialogue on this, so I'll stop here and ask: what do you think?
Like and share the article on your various medias please.

I don't respond to comments on the article, so if you want to open a dialogue- speak here.

Tags: death, suicide

Views: 1435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing, Judith

The premise underlying many religions (going to heaven/Valhalla/etc. after death) is very likely a root cause of people getting the equation wrong - to use a concept from the linked article. Instead of death being equal to zero, an afterlife changes the zero value to a positive one and people make a bad choice.

When I was a teen I did a paper for psychology about suicide since I was thinking about it. I learned enough to understand that the solution of death was a solution of zero and I didn't want zero - not that I thought in those terms specifically. So, while I continued to have suicidal ideations, I knew not to act on them as it would not be a good thing.

As for the "why are any gays religious?" question some people have brought up in the comments. Imagine for a moment that you are a child who was adopted. You and your adoptive parents are all blind. They are racist and teach you to be a racist also. Then one day a new surgery is approved for the public and you  get the surgery giving you sight. Your racist parents are white. You are black. How do you suddenly stop being racist? And how do you tell your racist parents that you're going to stop being racist? They're still blind so they don't understand the very obvious reason why. Your life just became so very complicated.

I would go with Sartre's explanation that many people want God to exist because if God doesn't exist then they are 100% responsible for creating themselves through their choices, whereas if God exists it's much easier: just do as He says. This might apply to, not just gays, but any people wanting to do the right thing.

Sartre: "Dostoevsky said, 'If God didn’t exist, everything would be possible.’ That is the very starting point of existentialism. Indeed, everything is permissible if God does not exist…” “If God does not exist, we find no values or commands to turn to which legitimate our conduct.” 

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by Erock68la 1 hour ago. 4 Replies

An atheist book for children?

Started by Leonard Deke in Small Talk 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Gary Clouse 6 hours ago. 69 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service