I recently confronted suicide not once, or twice... but three times. One of these is still occurring. 

What I haven't explained in the article I published on suicide is how much I still blame religion. These are personal feelings, and don't belong in a public service piece; so I will go into that here:

When a person is religious, they create an acceptance of their lifespan never truly ending. A religious person finds this life to be utterly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, except perhaps providing the proper ID for the "real life", or afterlife as it is commonly referred to.

This notion of there being an immortal lifespan tends to break down the value of life and the finality of death. In the mind of the believer, it isn't a matter of not living that draws concern, but the matter of where you end up. Of course you won't stop existing! Are you mad? You have a soul, you fool!

In the minds of many, there is this idea that all it takes to get into heaven is for you to be sorry for being a filthy sinner and acknowledge the Lord God. Bam! Heaven time!

What value is living if you manage to truly believe paradise is just a snuff-film away? The reason you won't find these thoughts specifically in my article is because I am not a neurologist, psychologist, or any other -ologist of note in which I can legitimately make these claims in official print. I am, however, damn smart... smart enough to know how dumb I am... so these thoughts lay here appropriately marked as "opinion" and cast out for the open forum. 

I'm wanting to generate dialogue on this, so I'll stop here and ask: what do you think?
Like and share the article on your various medias please.

I don't respond to comments on the article, so if you want to open a dialogue- speak here.

Tags: death, suicide

Views: 1395

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BTW, I constantly run into this idea that Heaven and Hell aren't actually places but are instead a relationship issue with God. Where are the scriptural references expressing this view? I ask because The Bible actually is fairly clear about Heaven and Hell:

HEAVEN:

Matthew 18:10 “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.

John 14:2 In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?

Revelation 5:9-13 And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth.” Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice, “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!” And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!”

Revelation 21:4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

Revelation 22:1-5 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him. They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever.

HELL:

Matthew 13:50 “furnace of fire…weeping and gnashing of teeth”
Mark 9:48 “where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched”
Revelation 14:10 “he will be tormented with fire and brimstone”
Revelation 14:11 “the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever and they have no rest day and night”
Revelation 20:14 “This is the second death, the lake of fire”
Revelation 20:15 “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire”

Where are the passages supporting your interpretation? I ask because I think its theological mumbo jumbo lacking any doctrinal support whatsoever.

Strega, maybe that priest who claims to have done 160,000 exorcisms does group exorcisms the way the late Sun Myung Moon used to do mass weddings.

Strega, he might be counting exorcism of each individual "demon" rather than each episode of performing an exorcism. Apparently the guy that is being referred to as being possessed, and I read this earlier today while following a bevy of links, has serious psychological issues, which is fairly evident from this article.

"Hell isn't a place, it's a state of relationship: not being in relationship with God."

Really? So all non-Christians and even some Christians are already in Hell right here on Earth. That is what you said - just logically restated so you understand what you said.

So God basically just made up a problem to guilt us into needing "Him"?

I guess that solves one mystery: God is a woman. Specifically, God is an awful sitcom stereotype of a Jewish mother.

Well, originally there wasn't this problem, God and man lived together without sin in the garden of Eden (no need to take it literally, for these types of stories it's about moral and spiritual truth- which is what it was written for, not historical and scientific). When man chose to disobey God, it was the first sin. Check out little explanation of sin above in my response to Strega :)

Who set it up as a sin to begin with and why?

Regardless, that's Adam's problem, not mine. There are collective crimes in this world to which I tacitly contribute. For example, the problems my nation causes are funded by my tax dollars. I'll cop to that. But the idea that I have inherited the misbehaviour of some asshat millennia dead? Fuck that noise. 

edit: Just in case it's not clear, I'm being glib. Not believing in any of it, it doesn't matter a great deal to me. I appreciate your explanations of your views just the same.

God and man lived together without sin in the garden of Eden (no need to take it literally, for these types of stories it's about moral and spiritual truth- which is what it was written for, not historical and scientific).

If they are not meant to be taken literally, that means there was no garden, no Adam, no talking snake, no original sin. Therefore Jesus came for no reason at all.

Also, who gets to decide what is taken literally and what is allegory when it comes to the bible? Is there some divine rulebook that tells you what is fantasy and what isn't?

When man chose to disobey God, it was the first sin.

Man disobeyed by eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Which means that before that first bite, man had no understanding of right and wrong, which means he did not know that what he was doing is "a sin". God, the all knowing mastermind of existence on the other hand, did know that Adam would eat the fruit, and that Adam was far too dumb to know the difference, after all, god made him. Yet he did nothing to hide the tree, or stop Satan.

Instead, god allowed what he already knew was the only outcome, to happen, and punished an unknowing victim for his own failing in foresight, and a completely innocent bystander, the entire species of snakes who had nothing to do with anything. Satan was disguised as a snake, snakes did nothing wrong, yet, fuck you snakes! No more legs!

If any of this nonsense ever took place, the guilty party is god. He created man with an inferior mind, kept the definition of right and wrong hidden, and then when man made a mistake caused by that important lack of knowledge, god punished them.

That is the equivalent of you torturing your dog for eating your wife's lipstick that YOU put in the dog's food dish.

No, thank you. No such thing as sin, no such thing as god. All bullshit.

Dude... really? Do you seriously believe all the shyt your are spouting. Please do as Strega suggested, and really take the time to explore and investigate. Knowledge is power and at this point, you have lost your power because, all due respect, but you sound like a zealot to me. Filling in the blanks with bs is not the way to have a serious, rational debate. Maybe you should go back and really read the bible, not just the verses you think applies to what you are saying. Another thing to remember when it comes to the bible, it wasn't written by the apostles, it was written by scholars, long after the last apostle died. And yet another thing to remember, this is the word of man being translated into many different languages, conformed to many different civilizations. So, the so called word of god has been watered down to the manuscript we have today which in my opinion is a total work of fiction which I used to put to use as reading while I used to bathroom to kill time instead of sitting there twiddling my thumbs... Just some food for thought there.

" but it's anytime you with full knowledge willingly commit a grave offense."

Isn't that ALL sins? 

Does that mean you can unknowingly and unwillingly commit a grave offense? 

What would an unwilling sin be? A woman that's been raped and then punished for adultery? 

Oh-Wait. That does sound familiar in most Abrahamic religions, so I guess that's my answer. 

Eeeew. 

It's not all sins because of the "grave" part.

.. Says specifically Mark 3:28-30 and Matthew 12:31-32 other verses in Luke and Hebrews can also be interpreted to reflect that message.

Of course you are right that in practice religions like catholicism actually are social phenomena and in this case what the Bible actually says is far less important than established tradition and the continuous reinforcement of common beliefs, which are of course subject to a much more important spirit than some vague Holy Spirit.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service