I recently confronted suicide not once, or twice... but three times. One of these is still occurring. 

What I haven't explained in the article I published on suicide is how much I still blame religion. These are personal feelings, and don't belong in a public service piece; so I will go into that here:

When a person is religious, they create an acceptance of their lifespan never truly ending. A religious person finds this life to be utterly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, except perhaps providing the proper ID for the "real life", or afterlife as it is commonly referred to.

This notion of there being an immortal lifespan tends to break down the value of life and the finality of death. In the mind of the believer, it isn't a matter of not living that draws concern, but the matter of where you end up. Of course you won't stop existing! Are you mad? You have a soul, you fool!

In the minds of many, there is this idea that all it takes to get into heaven is for you to be sorry for being a filthy sinner and acknowledge the Lord God. Bam! Heaven time!

What value is living if you manage to truly believe paradise is just a snuff-film away? The reason you won't find these thoughts specifically in my article is because I am not a neurologist, psychologist, or any other -ologist of note in which I can legitimately make these claims in official print. I am, however, damn smart... smart enough to know how dumb I am... so these thoughts lay here appropriately marked as "opinion" and cast out for the open forum. 

I'm wanting to generate dialogue on this, so I'll stop here and ask: what do you think?
Like and share the article on your various medias please.

I don't respond to comments on the article, so if you want to open a dialogue- speak here.

Tags: death, suicide

Views: 1390

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What do you want to know? 

Kind of an ambiguous response to someone who has laid their position out already... did you by chance read my article? I think filling any holes in any portion of my statement in my article would be something I would want.

I apologize if my response seemed combative

Accepted.  Don't worry about it. 

Since religion tells one that suicide is the ultimate sin (only God has the right to kill you) I don't see religion as a motivator, unless the person hates God and welcomes spending eternity swimming in a lake of fire. I also disagree that teens don't really understand the permanence of death. I think they realize that if they kill anyone (themselves included) they won't be back at school, they won't be around for Christmas or their birthdays. That's enough of an understanding of the permanence of death for me. 

I would blame religion for failing to prevent the suicide if I would blame them for anything at all.

Unless you're these guys.

http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/study-highest-rate-of...

No. Seriously. Religion makes people kill themselves, especially if you're gay and born into a religious family. 

The real mystery for me is why are there religious gay people?

I can agree with that sentiment. 

Another agree.  Why would you want to be a part of something which looks upon you as vermin.  

Yet another in agreement with you Unseen. But of course that would be the case because the question is the religious gay people question that has long been a conundrum to me and many others. Maybe some day there will be an answer, but in my opinion it is that ever present desire for most people to achieve approval from those they see as parents. So, in a religious sense these people are still seeking approval by the 'father'. That's just my opinion. Don't take it as fact.

I agree it has to do with gaining approval, but perhaps a bit more of a metaphorical "parent" (society at large, being a churchgoer in good standing being evidence of such). I think that may be what you meant anyway.

Yeah, that one has always baffled me as a gay, non believer. Mind you you seeing as religion seems stacked to oppress females in particular and the power of female sexuality I also wonder why on earth any woman would have anything to do with it.

RSS

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 29 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service