I recently confronted suicide not once, or twice... but three times. One of these is still occurring. 

What I haven't explained in the article I published on suicide is how much I still blame religion. These are personal feelings, and don't belong in a public service piece; so I will go into that here:

When a person is religious, they create an acceptance of their lifespan never truly ending. A religious person finds this life to be utterly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, except perhaps providing the proper ID for the "real life", or afterlife as it is commonly referred to.

This notion of there being an immortal lifespan tends to break down the value of life and the finality of death. In the mind of the believer, it isn't a matter of not living that draws concern, but the matter of where you end up. Of course you won't stop existing! Are you mad? You have a soul, you fool!

In the minds of many, there is this idea that all it takes to get into heaven is for you to be sorry for being a filthy sinner and acknowledge the Lord God. Bam! Heaven time!

What value is living if you manage to truly believe paradise is just a snuff-film away? The reason you won't find these thoughts specifically in my article is because I am not a neurologist, psychologist, or any other -ologist of note in which I can legitimately make these claims in official print. I am, however, damn smart... smart enough to know how dumb I am... so these thoughts lay here appropriately marked as "opinion" and cast out for the open forum. 

I'm wanting to generate dialogue on this, so I'll stop here and ask: what do you think?
Like and share the article on your various medias please.

I don't respond to comments on the article, so if you want to open a dialogue- speak here.

Tags: death, suicide

Views: 1390

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For every verse on sin, there is another on redemption.

Thanks to the inconsistent and  contradictory writings of the Bible, I don't think we can come to a definitive answer. I'm also too lazy to C&P any verses, so you have me there. :) 

Pretty poor planning for an instruction manual, I'd say.

Well maybe the instruction manual sometimes functions more like a talisman, a symbol to center around like a totem pole, but less arty.

I suspect that's exactly because the Holy Ghost is such a useless, superfluous and unnecessary complicating invention. When you put an emphasis on a prohibition to doubt the most doubtful and problematic creature or feature in some system of belief this does wonders to fortify belief.

Works a bit like it does with rituals. They are usually followed more strictly, with greater obedience and are bestowed with more importance and meaning, proportionally to their senselessness.

Given that the so-called sin against the Holy Ghost is such a big deal and almost impossible to know when or if you've committed it, I think its function is to keep church members perpetually off-balance and feeling a need for redemption.

But isn't sinning against the Holy Ghost the one irredeemable sin? Isn't that the only one that there is no forgiveness from?

Funny how the most easily dismissible thing about religion is the worst kind of crime. And telling you that you aren't allowed to doubt the Holy Ghost is just like me telling you to not think about a giraffe.

Bam! You just thought about a giraffe. See you in hell. :P

One can always hope for a miracle. God does miracles, you know.

Well there goes all hope for me.  Dang.

So how does one 'offend' a ghost?

According to the bible, doubting its existence.

Does that mean if you are confident that it doesn't exist then you're fine? You only sin if you doubt?     :D

@Un-One - I don't agree (does that really surprise you?) - I believe teens have a more romantic notion, they see themselves as floating above it all, looking down on all who have wronged them and noting how much they are missed.

What are the holes? 

RSS

Forum

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by Glen L 6 minutes ago. 4 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Paynton 46 minutes ago. 12 Replies

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 5 hours ago. 29 Replies

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Derp McChuckles 6 hours ago. 4 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 11 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service