When someone believes something even though all evidence is contrary to that belief, does this mean they are stupid or crazy?

Instead of using religion as an example, I will use this one: some people still believe the earth is flat. Are they stupid people or crazy people?

Views: 294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I left Christianity 40 years ago. I still have many friends from my past who are still very devout Christians. I don't think that any of them has ever had defend their faith. I have questioned a few of them about their beliefs. When I do, they are shocked that I, or anyone, has objections to what they believe. Their dogma is so deeply ingrained in their being that it is absolutely unfathomable for them to comprehend that there is even the smallest possibility that what they believe is not true.

I didn't expect this to foster such a good, serious discussion. My serious, philosophical questions never do.

I'm puzzled by why your question has a forced limitation of only two negative options, stupid or crazy.

Does this person posses the evidence? There could be evidence and they are not aware of it in which case they are just ignorant.

If they have the evidence then calling them stupid would be an insult to the stupid, calling them crazy I'd feel insulted so I think they are just willfully ignorant or as GM has said delusional

I think that if they choose to believe that the earth is flat or that snakes talk etc, in spite of evidence that it’s not true, then they just don’t really care enough about it.  They mostly just want to fit into the circle they belong to … 

Bingo is more important than facts … : )

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service