Have you ever had an experience of something not known to or accepted by the scientific community? It is so bizarre to know something is possible that is considered impossible by mainstream sources of information. I'm confident that it will be studied and accepted in the future but due to the stigma of my position I would not disclose the experience to those outside of my closest confidants.*

*In an effort not to seem paranoid, woo, or spiritual, I will disclose that I'm not getting probed by aliens, seeing Bigfoot in my backyard, communing with ley lines, or self-diagnosing "morgellons disease."

Views: 1218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was asserting it earlier

As a funny intellectual exercise, I could suggest an idea:

Given the degree of animal camoflage, consider octopus and cuddle fish as examples, could evolution allow the creation of whole ecologys made up of creatures with nearly perfect camoflage skills? An invisable natural world one could say. They might still show up under thermal imaging, or other radiation absorbtion or emission.

This question came up during a documentary concerning octopus and cuddle fish behavior.

To test this question or hypothesis, could an experiment be designed?

I can think of a few problems with this idea. The the very limited 'mysterious' reports of people being attacked by an 'invisable' creature. Can the environment support possible parallel ecologies? What of predator/prey relationships? etc

I figure that this would fall into the 'something not known to science'...  

If such an ecosystem existed, what mechanism would keep it from intermingling with the known ecosystem in ways that we could observe? 

Yes. The existing camoflage methods of animals, anywhere from coat colors that are similar to background, to adaptable surface texture and markings modifications, already exist. I expect due to natural section, that the greater degree of camoflage, the greater survivability, as either predator or prey.

I expect that total invisability could come with a heavy energy or physical/biochemical demand on the creature, but total invisability might not be possible, except under very limited conditions.

During the octopus documentary, there was one film clip of a diver coming up onto a large rock in shallow water. As the clip progressed, getting closer to the rock, there seemed to be nothing there that could offer the indication of an animal presence, but all of a sudden you saw this color change and a big eye looking back into the camera! My response  was WOW! Take me to your Leader! Followed by my near hysterical laughter. If I had been a fish, I don't think I would have had a chance of survival. Of course, there might have been significant editing for the effect, but maybe not.   

Mental strain

I feel he's just getting a kick out of yanking TA's chain.

That's really not my style. I simply wanted to know if others have had experiences that science does not/has not yet addressed because it was a very odd realization to have.

ASMR looks pretty interesting. It's nothing sexual or embarrassing...it is just that as long as something has yet to gain understanding or acknowledgement by the scientific and mainstream communities, you run the risk of being labeled "insane" (as Unseen put it) by associating yourself with a new idea. I'm not really ashamed, just reticent to divulge. I honestly feel that privacy on the internet is nothing more than an illusion. I'm pretty sure I fall well within the norm of abnormal, as most people do. I enjoy looking at new ideas and the unknown too, it's just not often that I find myself so personally associated with it.

Fill out this form and see if you will be the first to collect one million dollars.

It would be pointless to fill that out and totally irrelevant to this thread. I am not claiming to have had a paranormal experience but rather to have experienced a natural phenomenon that is not addressed by science.

In life, our experiences causes the brain to see and hear things that we want to see or hear.

Like sidewalk trompes de l'0eil:

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service