Have you ever had an experience of something not known to or accepted by the scientific community? It is so bizarre to know something is possible that is considered impossible by mainstream sources of information. I'm confident that it will be studied and accepted in the future but due to the stigma of my position I would not disclose the experience to those outside of my closest confidants.*

*In an effort not to seem paranoid, woo, or spiritual, I will disclose that I'm not getting probed by aliens, seeing Bigfoot in my backyard, communing with ley lines, or self-diagnosing "morgellons disease."

Views: 1214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactly!  It's a lot easier to get desperate people to believe, especially after they've forked over some of their hard earned money!

Quite possibly, if they weren't satisfied they wouldn't have to pay.  It's a sensitive area of ethics and karma. 

But a very poor business model - just ask the Psychic Hotline.

Flame? NO

Stake? maybe....

So do you think deja vu is real?

Daniel Dennett offers a very compelling explanation of deja vu.

Thanks, that's pretty much how I see the thing, too.

Interesting hypothesis, but who was the dead guy standing behide him?

Not crazy about it, actually. First of all every time I've experienced deja vu, it filled my experiential moment. I never know if I've seen this before, or heard this before, or smelled this before - the entire moment participates in the deja vu.

I've always felt that it might be triggered by subconscious amounts of familiar stimulus (probably smell) in a new situation.

Actually I guess Dennet's model could work - if it weren't so linear.

We already know that stimulating various parts of the brain can stimulate false perceptions. My theory is that something does that during a real perception, making it seem like a memory as well as a present experience. What could cause such a stimulus? A cosmic ray, perhaps. 

I found a reference once concerning the effects of weightlessness and long term stays in orbit. Some astronauts noticed bright flashes of light from their eyes, and thought that these might be particles hitting the fluid portion of the eye and losing a photon of energy due to interaction with the fluid. Somewhat similar to the light emitted at the bottom of reactors.

Due to wave/particle duality of electrons, could electrons, while in a fluid, and associated with ionic compounds, tunnel, and cause effects on nerve and other tissues? If so could these cause unexpected cognitive effects? 

I had a similar thing with a girlfriend when I was a teenager, I may not be able to give you an absolute scientific answer but I can give a hypothesis, we were very close, I mean "friends" close, we went around together, knew quite a bit about each other including habits.

My hypothesis is this, when we are around particular people long enough our thoughts begin to sync, they become very coincidental, now here is the interesting part, we as humans notice more the coincidences that match but rarely notice the myriad times when things don't match, we end up with confirmation bias, because we effectively ignore the errors we also ignore that we have confirmation bias, those who claim visions of Jesus are a good example, they so much want to believe that they do not even consider the possibility of hallucination.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 24 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service