Have you ever had an experience of something not known to or accepted by the scientific community? It is so bizarre to know something is possible that is considered impossible by mainstream sources of information. I'm confident that it will be studied and accepted in the future but due to the stigma of my position I would not disclose the experience to those outside of my closest confidants.*

*In an effort not to seem paranoid, woo, or spiritual, I will disclose that I'm not getting probed by aliens, seeing Bigfoot in my backyard, communing with ley lines, or self-diagnosing "morgellons disease."

Views: 1228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That sounds like a pretty standard fight or flight adrenalin situation.  Your ability to read the minds of others was just a state of your mind short cutting the decision making process rather than spending time second guessing the potential reactions of others.  When those decisions were wrong they were just discarded and new evaluations were made in one shot without second guessing.  It only seemed that you were anticipating their every move but in reality you just weren't taking the time to record your errors or doubt yourself

The scientific explanations always come back showing that there is no mind reading going on.  The belief that mind reading is going on is a psychological phenomenon based on a number of 'flaws' that help us through stressful events.  The primary contributor to that belief is confirmation bias - as I said, you don't take the time to survey your hits and misses and certainly don't have time to pay attention to misses, you simply update a new guess and move forth without a second guess - again because you don't have time to second guess.  This leaves you with a series of events wherein you act on impulse after impulse without pause - which statistically is often better than wasting time lamenting errors and double guessing next steps.

LOL

Why should we speculate about HOW a phenomenon happens before it's been established that it DOES happen?

Okay, try this. Let's assume that I can turn into a fierce black leopard after sundown (the idea behind the movie Cat People). Explain how that could be. 

Now, don't you think that's absurd without some sort of proof that I actually can turn into a leopard?

I was in a car crash a couple of weeks ago, and I experienced the "time slows down" feeling, which I've been trying to rationalise (oddly, no fear involved).

So lets hypothesise.  If time actually does 'slow down' for you, then imagine the expressions and body language of someone else gives off say ten points of reference, but normally its so fast that we only pick up on on two or three of those.  Now with time seeming slower (adrenaline related) you can actually pick up and process all ten points.  Perhaps, equipped with those ten points, you can far better assess the other persons mental processes, giving rise to the feeling of mental communication.

This is a very interesting story. I had the same feeling during a wreck. I was calm enough and had enough "time" to recall advice on how to prepare myself for impact-closing eyes, tucking tongue away from my teeth, and relaxing my muscles. It seemed like I was waiting for time to pass, but it couldn't have been more than 2 seconds. Isn't the body amazing!?

Maybe the only thing there is to it is your heightened awareness, during which each animal interprets behavioral signals from the other.  No ESP necessary.  As for hit'n'miss, you need to look at the statistical outcomes.  If 900 soldiers die on the battle field but 100 survive, remembering all their great instincts, the statistics indicate that such instincts give a 90% failure rate, while the 10% who survived see their own survival as 100% success.

So basically the 900, on dying, think that god deserted them, and maybe he doesn't exist, but the 100 that survive think w00t! Jesus saves!

Guess who we are left with - the 100.  Good maths there, Heather (Goddess)

Merci.

@Belle Rose

Let's assume for the moment you are of the opinion that you can at certain times under stressful situations read the thoughts and emotions of people around you.

I am willing to assume that because it does indeed seem to be the case.

How would you Belle Rose explain the above assumption about someone else?  In a scientific manner of course.

If I ask you for a scientific explanation of the Space Monkey I "know" I saw last night, can you provide me with one?

Show me someone who claims to have this power and I'll help them get $1 million if they'll put up their claim to scrutiny by James Randi, :D

Better hurry from what I understand they will be discontinuing that challenge.

Yes, well 50 years of actually taking the time to scrutinize bullshit claims is likely all James Randi has in him.  Perhaps, for the next 50 years, people claiming psychic abilities can, instead, offer a million dollars to anyone who will actually believe them, ha ha ha!

RSS

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service