I was reading my Bible and I thought of you guys. Im curious what you guys think, but reluctant to start another topic
1 Corinthians 1:18-29
 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

For it is written,
         "I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE,
         AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE."

Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom;

but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness,

but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble;

but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong,

and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are,

so that no man may boast before God.

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would very much like it for a Christian to come in here and argue with facts and logic and ethics, not Bible quotes (or that one fellow who believed the Bible was a set of codes that he had figured out somehow). Bible scriptures are not fact. They are not necessarily events that actually happened or should happen or might happen any more than if I decided to quote "Peter Pan" to you.

I don't wish to be rude. I think you have a good hefty set of testacles to join our group and try to state your case. I don't think any one of us wants to run you out of here. But if you want to get your point across, we need science, we need studies, we need arguments with meat to them. We are not your average joes-on-the-street that you can convert with pretty (if not cryptic) words and promises of golden-gated afterlives. Most of us reached a state lacking theism after much thought and research. It's a complicated thing to make someone believe something where there was no belief before. You need to come at us armed. Good luck to you.
David,
What evidence do you have that the bible should be any taking as anything more that historical mythology?
Christians usually respond to questions like this with some story about personal experience, failing to realize that people from all over the globe back up their respective flavor of magic with some story of personal experience.

RSS

Forum

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 24 seconds ago. 12 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Emperor Milos 4 hours ago. 77 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 8 hours ago. 8 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 17 hours ago. 13 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 19 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service