I was reading my Bible and I thought of you guys. Im curious what you guys think, but reluctant to start another topic
1 Corinthians 1:18-29
 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

For it is written,
         "I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE,
         AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE."

Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom;

but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness,

but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble;

but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong,

and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are,

so that no man may boast before God.

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doone Studying the Law is just as if not more relevant than studying philosophy
It's only more relevant in your mind. The book might have been relevant in its day, and it's certainly worth reading... just like it's worth reading the Odyssey or the Iliad. But, I find it painfully outdated and ill-equipped to address the problems of today's world without severely altering or purposefully misinterpreting the text. When the Civil War was being fought, the Bible had nothing relevant to say about slavery; when Women's Rights were being fought for, the Bible had nothing relevant to say; the Bible has nothing relevant to say about Global Warming or the state of the planet's oceans; the Bible has nothing relevant to say about Health Care... the Bible has very, very little practical advice on much of anything. I like the "love" message, but I can get that from another religion... one that doesn't also command you to hate your brother, mother, father for its sake.
Big Smile!
Do not blaspheme the one true god Brahma by worshipping this imposter Ganesha!

Just as a general reply to what you have said this verse is not promoting ignorance or foolishness, to think that would be using selective observation. // For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.//
\This is obviously talking about a world view and wisdom is used here relatively. The "wisdom of the world" is nothing compared to the "wisdom of God"
//Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men..//

If you dont like that Im quoting the Bible and think I might as well "quote a cookbook" don't respond. I dont see any point to a response like that
"For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe."

This is saying three things: 1) that the world didn't know God through it's wisdom;
2) that it was because of God's wisdom that the world didn't know him through the world's own wisdom;
3) and that the message preached to save those who believe is foolish.

So even the Bible admit's it's own foolishness.
Next you claim that "this is obviously talking about a world view and wisdom is used here relatively", which makes no sense if you next claim that "the "wisdom of the world" is nothing compared to the "wisdom of God"". Put these two together and you get "the "world view of the world" is nothing compared to the "world view of God"". Yeah.
//This is saying three things: 1) that the world didn't know God through it's wisdom;
2) that it was because of God's wisdom that the world didn't know him through the world's own wisdom;
3) and that the message preached to save those who believe is foolish.//
I'll probably get harangued for saying this, but it is true. Context is very important and you left out point 4 which is that the foolishness of God is wiser than the wisdom of men.

//Put these two together and you get "the "world view of the world" is nothing compared to the "world view of God""//
World and Humanity is synonymous so you could say that the world view of God is superior to the World view of humanity also. It makes sense. Even if that weren't so, there is no reason to believe that the world understands itself better than God would.
As a species, we've already learned how to "outsmart" Nature and natural-selection because Nature is not actually smart. We have learned how to breed dogs to look and act the way we want them to, not how nature "programmed" them; we have learned how to create plant hybrids to look, feel, smell and grow when and how we want them (including the engineered banana Ray Comfort mistook for God's handiwork); we've figured out how to extend our own lives despite our limitations (poor eyesight, missing appendages, allergies, being naked, being without claws/teeth, etc)... the list goes on and on. If you studied human and other-animal anatomy, you would see just how poorly planned it all is. I won't bother going into it though, I'm sure I'm wasting my typing.

If Nature=God's handiwork, then we're definitely wiser than he is because we have improved upon almost everything we got our hands on. As impressive as evolution is, life is less impressive if it's supposed to have been created by a perfect, all-knowing Creator. It is quite pathetic from that angle.
"Foolishness of God is wiser than the wisdom of men" is a nonsensical statement. It's fairly obviously that it means that even the wisest men don't get even close to the wisdom of god, because foolishness by definition can't be wiser than wisdom.
You're on an atheist web site, David. If you don't like our responses, maybe you shouldn't start discussions you know we're going to scrutinize. Also, you didn't put any disclaimers on your discussion, such as "If you think I won't like your response, please don't respond." You put it up; it's fair game.
This is a quotation forum, I should be able to quote whatever I want to make a point. All I have said is dont respond if you think quoting the Bible is useless, its self defeating. Feel free to scrutinize just don't comp[lain that im putting up quotes on a quotes forum.
You're more than welcome to quote whatever you want, and I'm allowed to respond to whatever I want. It is not self-defeating for me to tell you it's useless to quote the Bible. How is that self-defeating? I'm trying to communicate to you that it is useless to quote the Bible to atheists who will immediately disregard it as bullshit; you're wasting your breath or, in this case, your typing. And I can complain if I want, too. And I will. That's what you're asking for when you post Christian dogma on an atheist website. Like I said, it's all fair game. You don't make the rules here, David.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service