I was reading my Bible and I thought of you guys. Im curious what you guys think, but reluctant to start another topic
1 Corinthians 1:18-29
 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

For it is written,
         "I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE,
         AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE."

Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom;

but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness,

but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble;

but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong,

and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are,

so that no man may boast before God.

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
HA! I always knew women were stronger and wiser than God! Since I be no man, that's what this passage means to me.

To me, God is like a two year old who breaks his toys [kills his people -who are really his toys] when he throws a little temper tantrum because things don't go his way.
It's interesting, however, how an almighty god can have foolishness and weakness. I thought this guy was supposed to be, I don't know... perfect.
Tis true that some things never change. 2000 years after the greatest farce in human history, the masses remain as they always are, simply cattle led to the slaughter without a second thought. You are one of them. I pity you.
I only pity the masses. I scorn the shepherds and the flute players(Pied Piper reference). I want them both tried from crimes against humanity.
///That's bull crap and you know it. If all theists can interpret the Bible just fine, then we wouldn't have a need for "interpreters".//
Most theists can understand what the majority of the Bible means and those who cant are clearly wrong.
//We wouldn't be seeing 3,500 and counting denominations of Christianity, all with differing opinions on doctrine.//
That would be differing opinions of dogma not doctrine. Most of the disputes are on baptism. Like one dunk or three or sprinkling. There is also the fierce debate on whether or not you should do sprinkling baptism, but most denominations agree with the exception of the Liberal church, Church of Christ and Seventh day Advent church
//We wouldn't be seeing many different translations of the Bible.//
Why wouldn't we see different translations of the Bible? The translations of the Bible are all based on how literal vs how readable it is. To get a more literal translation you have to take away some of the readability of it.
// And there are plenty of other believers who don't want to have anything to do with the Bible at all.//
Thats a minority and what they believe is probably not consistent with what Christians believe
// It's only the priests and hard core fundies who seem to be able to possess the ability the validate the bloodshed, racism, slavery, brutality, infanticide, rape, hatred and other abhorrent acts found in the Bible by spinning the "context" card. We're atheists because we see the Bible exactly for what it is. Crap.///
Libel or unfounded assumption, I am not sure

//You==pwned.///
You are very quick to declare yourself correct, even before I can cross examine your statement.
So, who's right? Which demonination? Who gets to go to heaven and why? And purely for curiosity's sake, what is your proof that most theists understand the majority of the Bible? How are you backing up that claim? How does one know for sure that one understands it? It seems that there are many, many different interpretations of basically everything in the Bible. Who's right? And if they can't understand (by whatever criteria you will provide us with), how does that "clearly" make them wrong? Is your way of interpreting the Bible the right way? Because, just to be clear, I'm pretty sure that every version of Christianity has that same view. Which brings me back to the first question: who's right?
It's a bit mind numbing, isn't it? This statement is cringe-worthy: "most theists can understand what the majority of the Bible means and those who cant are clearly wrong"

Clearly wrong? Clearly?! By whose standard? Mormons are clearly wrong by Christian standards; Christians are clearly wrong by Jewish standards; Jews are clearly wrong by Muslim standards; Muslims are clearly wrong by Buddhist standards; Buddhists are clearly wrong by Buddha's standards!

It's very, very glaringly arrogant to think you are lucky enough to be a part of the small minority who has it right... and it is a small minority, because I guarantee that whatever denomination (or so-called "non-denomination") you're a part of is looked down on by another denomination. In the mind of another brand of Christian, you are going to Hell because there's some detail you don't find quite as significant as they do. A branch of Pentecostals are convinced that, if you baptize a person and their elbow sticks out of the water, they're not Saved... a person has to be FULLY submerged, and even an elbow can send you to Hell.

There's nothing "clear" about any of this, and if you think it is clear, you are delusional. Can you, for once, concede a point? Can't you just say, "Yeah, I guess it really isn't that clear and that's why there are so many different variations of belief based around the same book." Even if you still believe in God after admitting that much, I'd at least have respect for you for acknowledging the obvious!
Most theists can understand what the majority of the Bible means

Wrong again. There's great confusion among the interpretation of the Bible because it's one of the most wholesale poorly written texts ever created. Thousands of scholar can read the same thing and still come with multiple different meanings, and the average lay person believer isn't even aware of what's in the Bible or what the passages mean, and many believers don't want anything to do with the Bible.

and those who cant are clearly wrong.

You're still full of it.

Libel or unfounded assumption, I am not sure

You cannot "libel" a work of fiction, and you're obviously still blissfully unaware of the extent of the horrors found in your precious book.

I maintain: You==pwned.
Why is it that religion has this free pass when it comes to such things?
I mean, take that passage, and apply it to any other scenario in life.
How about a consumer product?
"Don't ask questions about it, just buy it!"
or a medicine?
"Don't ask questions, just take it!"
or food?
"Don't ask what's in it, just eat it!"
Or how about any other adult relationship....?

I'm actually really happy that it was a Christian that brought this to our attention.
Sometimes I feel like I'm being a bully when I point out such overtly stupid shit. It's nice to see it coming from somewhere else.
If this is not proselytizing than I don't know what is anymore.

Is this BS allowed here on T|A? I mean I know where I'm coming from. I used to be a catholic and I've had enough of this shit all my life!

You mister. are a troll. A troll who doesn't know his html.
All opinions are welcome. David wanting to spread his word leads to good discussions. We all learn from it. I would suggest that religionists lead us to the best discussions, even though they always devolve eventually.
When they start out with a new religionist, watch for doone trolling back at them. It's a good time!

eg. "I believe in the words of Ganesh. Every word of his. No one has ever proven to me that there are ANY errors in it. Anyone else who loves and worships Ganesh? Ganesh is great and right and true - I do believe, I do believe!"
This is not off topic or intended to make people angry, I would say this is a relevant topic in an atheist website

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 13 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service