Don't tell me you never had this question asked to you, subsequently to your, usually politely, explaining to whoever asks about your religion, that you're an atheist and do not believe in any god; you're an atheist and do not believe that a god exists; or whatever combination of words you choose.

That's pretty much how it goes.

Even people who know that atheists do not believe in a god will sometimes still assume they share a common set of beliefs or principles, and have common political tendencies.

"So, what do atheists believe?", is their question.

If you ask me, I've had a wide variety of comebacks, depending on my mood at the moment, most of them facetious, but most likely, after explaining that atheists (as a group) do not have a common set of beliefs, I say that *I* believe in love, in humanity and our good faith... just to keep it simple... because, quite frankly, we don't "believe" in science - we find it verifiable. We don't "believe" in the universe and its wonders, we have seen them through amazing telescopes. I guess you get my point.

So what do you, fellow atheist, believe in, or what do you think is the best answer to this question?

Side note: This discussion is focused rather on the best comeback to the question in it, which in this specific context, is always asked as "opposed to your non-belief in god, what do atheists believe?"

Views: 5725

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"What bothers you in reality, is, that this is a very unconvenient question, since it makes you face the fact that strong atheism is a position without rational support based on the scientific evidence, and philosophical reasons, and religious ones, we have. the more time pasts, the more strong atheism looses rational ground."

so yor are asking is atheism supportable by evidence? to be quite honest, the most logical response and the most honest response it to be an agnostic meaning without knowledge. that position requires no evidence to support and takes into consideration all the evidence religions have abused humanity with for thousands of years.

most atheists arrive at their conclusions by weighing the evidence as reported by the various holy texts used to propagate hatred and cruelty and terror in the name of some deity, and found them all lacking in believable, credible, empirical evidence that does not come from fake scientists trying to prove their holy book is correct while science proves beyond any measure of a doubt that it is correct.

to summarize. the claim of a divine entity is completely the possession of the religious people, thus, to disprove it is not our problem, but yours to support with evidence other than the bible tells you so.

this is not IGNORED as you put it, by most atheists, but simply a point not worth discussion as the theist fails time and time again to prove their claim of god's existence.  to claim we are atheists because we want to  ignore your god misses the point entirely and is the stuff anti-atheist sermons are built on. you live your live in fear of god rejecting you on judgement day and tell us we are going to hell or to be destroyed or whatever it is you believe because rationally, your god does not make sense, nor does the book you claim as truth!

i once heard it said that jesus was either god, man or crazy when he claimed he was god. the jew rejected that claim as did the romans. was he a man? well, there is no evidence other than a forged reference in the historian Josephus' work to suggest he even existed, but was probably a compilation of many of the jesus' or messiahs known to be in the region at the time. do we believe he is god? no, do we believe he was man? not until the evidence PROVES he was a man. do we believe he was crazy? well, with numbers 1 and 2 not proven, we are left with only one choice. you decide!

thanks

to be quite honest, the most logical response and the most honest response it to be an agnostic meaning without knowledge

Oh yeah, i know that  escape. You have a brain . Use it !! 

that position requires no evidence to support and takes into consideration all the evidence religions have abused humanity with for thousands of years.

That is not evidence that God does not exist !! 

most atheists arrive at their conclusions by weighing the evidence as reported by the various holy texts used to propagate hatred and cruelty and terror in the name of some deity, and found them all lacking in believable, credible, empirical evidence that does not come from fake scientists trying to prove their holy book is correct while science proves beyond any measure of a doubt that it is correct.

How about presenting POSITIVE evidence for strong atheism ??

just remembering , there are only two alternatives :

a eternal universe in one form or the other, or a univerese, that popped-up out of absolutely nothing. Pick your choice, and explain, why you think its a compelling alternative. Good luck !! 

to disprove it is not our problem, but yours to support with evidence other than the bible tells you so.

But THIS topic is about explain what YOU believe, and why !! 

How about answering that ? Otherwise, you are on the wrong place here.

you live your live in fear of god rejecting you on judgement day

You got it completely wrong. I believe in a LOVING God, which made everything so that i could become a son of God, and therefore forgiveness for sin, and eternal life. 

We should have to explain why we don't think "Some super dude created the universe" is a ridiculous explanation for the existence of the universe? That's a laff and a haff.

Current thinking is that the universe didn't pop out of nothing, although from inside the universe it might look that way. There are membranes and when one bumps into another one something happens. Witness the universe.

Claiming that some super dude made the universe really isn't an explanation at all, and if all you've got to support it is some tribal mythology from the Middle East, that is just so pathetic.

first of all, there is no need to reply with such hostility! i have been responding to your questions and your replies reveal your ignorance of basic discussion skills. Atheists do not have to prove your god does not exist as we do not acknowledge the claim that he does exist. you are sorely missing that point and you keep pressing for evidence from us to prove something you can not prove exists. so, please, if you want a dialogue, stop the personal attacks and act like a man, not a child.

yes, i have a brain, and yes, i do use it as you have yet to respond to any of my direct questions, i can see that you are either unable to respond to them or refuse to respond to them yet you continue the attack on me, and you continue to ignore ALL of the evidence that we have provided that your god and your claims are based on myths and fables, and as such, are OUTRIGHT rejected by atheists.

i have made no claim that what i wrote proves god does not exist, that is the biased opinion you are imposing on my responses to your ridiculous posts. YOU, sir, are the one who is required to PROVE your claim or stop this ignorant attack on atheists on this site!

you wrote -

How about presenting POSITIVE evidence for strong atheism ??

just remembering , there are only two alternatives :

a eternal universe in one form or the other, or a univerese, that popped-up out of absolutely nothing. Pick your choice, and explain, why you think its a compelling alternative. Good luck !!

sir, you are not looking for answers to these questions, you are out to score points for your god and your religious belief system. you believe your god is beyond the universe while offering no evidence of that claim, you claim that he created the entire universe out of nothing while providing no evidence other than genesis as your proof, you claim that there are two alternatives, yet you already believe yours is the only correct one. there are more options than theist and atheist to consider and you repeating your strong atheist position that you believe you can refute, again, with NO evidence on your part. the position of the agnostic can be extended to include an atheists position as well. perhaps a study of philosophy would help you understand how narrow your scope of understanding truly is and how insulting your attacks on me and the others here really is!

you say -

But THIS topic is about explain what YOU believe, and why !! 

How about answering that ? Otherwise, you are on the wrong place here.

as i have said several times before, i have written out what i believe on this thread many times and you continue to either not read my replies or are willingly misleading the discussion by insisting i once again explain my 'beliefs'.

when you have read what i have written, you can attack me again, with EVIDENCE to disprove what i say, not just personal attacks on me.

you say - You got it completely wrong. I believe in a LOVING God, which made everything so that i could become a son of God, and therefore forgiveness for sin, and eternal life.

if you call the god described in the bible as a loving god, then you need to spend more time reading the book as a lot of us here have. those claims are made in a book which has been shown over and over again to be filled with error from front to back. IF it were 100% accurate, then the god found in there is reprehensible at best and a complete monster at worst. if love is found in the book, it is completely by accident!

please, stick to the discussion, provide real PROOF, which is NOT 'the bible says so'. if you continue to attack me personally, you will be reported to the mods as there is no place for that. besides that, the more vile your attacks, the less credible it is for us to consider your claim that you serve a god of love while writing such hatred defending your god.

consider carefully what i have written.

thank you.

If someone asked me what do atheists believe in, I'd just say I don't have a fucking clue. According to wikipedia there are over a billion non-believers in the world and I wouldn't have the faintest idea what they all believe in. Even if you asked me about some specific topic I would have no clue, as atheism isn't like organized religion where you have a doctrine which everyone has to follow(even then there are many many groups within religions). The only thing that all atheists have in common is a disbelief in gods & religions. If you want to know about specific beliefs then I can only tell you about mine & about the beliefs of some of the atheists I know well.

Here! Here. Well said Aks!

If someone asked me what do atheists believe in, I'd just say I don't have a fucking clue. 

its not about what others believe, but what YOU believe, and why.

It is about whatever he wants it to be about so get your head out of your fairy tale book and go watch an episode of Blue's Clues.

its not about what others believe, but what YOU believe, and why.

My beliefs about what? You gotta be more clear.

And while we're at it, why do you believe in your religion? Is it because mommy & daddy told you to?

"believe in" and "believe that" -- a worldview of difference

• As long as the phrases "believe in" and "believe that" are confused, there will be no satisfactory answer,

To use "believe in" is to concede to a faith-based way of thinking. "Belief in" really means "to trust" -- as in the phrase "in God we trust." "Believe that" immediately asks for reasons, "why do you believe that" -- Why do believe that the moon is made of green cheese?" Thus atheists do not have to "believe in" anything -- atheism is not a faith. It presupposes no faith.

• Atheism forms part of many different worldviews (Weltanschauungen)

There are no “objects” in some bucket labeled “atheism”. Atheism is not a label for groups of institutions. Essentially atheism is a part of different worldviews (search: Weltanschauung) which deny that any god whatsoever exists.

There is no common basis for atheism. Worldviews which provide reasons (evidence) for atheism include: philosophies -- ancient atomism, empiricism, existentialism, logical positivism; political ideologies -- marxism, personalism (Ayn Rand); religions -- theravada budhism, jainism.

In the West, typical atheists would reason from very different worldviews that of God and Yaweh, Ahura Mazda and Allah not one of them exists. These fictions enjoy the robust status of other publicly well-known characters like Gilgamesh and Zeus, Sherlock Holmes and Batman.

• Institutional religion is a practice with cultic and political components

In a political sense, a religion is a recognizable social unit sharing common cultic practices, common symbols, common mythological (so-called supernatural) commitments, as well as making secular ideological claims to power and corporate action.

Despite its theistic stance, the Boy Scouts of America is not a religion. It is however a voluntary membership association which as a secular policy denies entry to atheist youth.

Atheism embodies no common practice -- it has no organized body of members, no rituals, no common symbols. It has no unitary political ideology. Having no corporate “body," it lacks any institution for “acting” politically.

Of course there are voluntary membership associations like the Freedom from Religion Foundation which espouses at a minimum “freedom of conscience” as embodied in the 1st Amendment and Article VI, section 3 of the US Constitution.

the anti_supernaturalist

i have been responding to your questions and your replies reveal your ignorance of basic discussion skills.

Nope !! So far, i have not seen answers from you to the issue of this topic, beside evade the answer by saying the best is to be agnostic !! 

Atheists do not have to prove your god does not

Where did i ask for proofs ?????? You mix the word evidence, with the word proof. These are two different things. Learn this !! 

so, please, if you want a dialogue, stop the personal attacks and act like a man, not a child.

Who is making personal attacks ??

as you have yet to respond to any of my direct questions.

No, i don't , since you evase, trying to direct this discussion to the usual direction, where nothing more than attacks of the bible are made. I participate here to learn about YOUR faith, why you believe strong atheism is the best answer, i am asking for POSITIVE evidence, no bible trashing..... If that is your intent, i m not in !!

and you continue to ignore ALL of the evidence that we have provided that your god and your claims are based on myths and fables, and as such, are OUTRIGHT rejected by atheists.

that are baseless assertions. 

YOU, sir, are the one who is required to PROVE your claim or stop this ignorant attack on atheists on this site!

THAT IS NOT THE QUESTION WHICH MONICA WANTS TO BE ANSWERED !!

unless you have some valuable information to contribute to the question on topic, i don't see further reason to discuss with you. 

Angelo you keep saying this is not the question Monica wants answered. Her question is: “So, what do atheists believe?”

Since you are obviously not an atheist I don’t see how you are qualified to answer the question. You can only have an opinion of what you think atheists believe.  All atheists don’t “believe” the same things. I think she just wants the varied opinions from atheist of what they believe.

As an atheist I “believe” in evolution not creationism, that all organized religions I have studied have contradictions and fatal flaws of logic.

If you like to comment on the site fine but do so in a discussion where you are at least on point.  

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service