Don't tell me you never had this question asked to you, subsequently to your, usually politely, explaining to whoever asks about your religion, that you're an atheist and do not believe in any god; you're an atheist and do not believe that a god exists; or whatever combination of words you choose.

That's pretty much how it goes.

Even people who know that atheists do not believe in a god will sometimes still assume they share a common set of beliefs or principles, and have common political tendencies.

"So, what do atheists believe?", is their question.

If you ask me, I've had a wide variety of comebacks, depending on my mood at the moment, most of them facetious, but most likely, after explaining that atheists (as a group) do not have a common set of beliefs, I say that *I* believe in love, in humanity and our good faith... just to keep it simple... because, quite frankly, we don't "believe" in science - we find it verifiable. We don't "believe" in the universe and its wonders, we have seen them through amazing telescopes. I guess you get my point.

So what do you, fellow atheist, believe in, or what do you think is the best answer to this question?

Side note: This discussion is focused rather on the best comeback to the question in it, which in this specific context, is always asked as "opposed to your non-belief in god, what do atheists believe?"

Views: 5769

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We all have to figure out what life means for ourself.

It might have a meaning for you, but without God, it has no objective meaning. 

Advocating Christianity is off topic...Stay on topic troll!

How can objective meaning come from a myth? I would think that is almost the paradigm of unobjective "meaning."

your question again, is off topic. 

We all have to figure out what life means for ourself.

It might have a meaning for you, but without God, it has no objective meaning.

can you back up that claim? or are you just spouting something you heard someone say?

please, we are intelligent people here looking for a reasonable response to the questions posed to you, yet you continue to tell us we are boring yet provide no evidence to support your claims of god other than the bible tells me so... there are reasons that is a song taught to kindergarten children!

thanks

Normally "objective" means "factually the case." What is there about a belief in God that makes the meaning of life an objective fact, or based on objective facts? In other words, what makes the meaning of life empirically true, and therefor verifiable?

please, we are intelligent people here looking for a reasonable response to the questions posed to you, 

the initial question was made to YOU, atheist, not to me, theist. Would YOU mind to answer ?

the initial question was made to YOU, atheist, not to me, theist. Would YOU mind to answer ?

if you read my  posts, i have answered you a few times now what i believe. not all atheists believe in the same things as not all christians  believe in the same things. what exactly are you looking for? the word has been defined for you, a basic explaination of what a few of us believe in has been provided to you. are you looking for a book of atheist doctrine? don't bother as there  are none!

we will agree that people who come on here with an attitude of superiority as you have deserve little attention, yet we are gracious to those who ask and will continue to give you answers you will continue to ignore and then claim persecution though you are on an ATHEIST website preaching the love and ignorance your god forces you to preach while claiming to love us while treating us like babies with your infantile responses to the real questions we ask you over and over again.

thanks

You're right. She was talking to atheists, not theists. You have no standing here.

Congratulations, you've ruined a perfectly innocent thread. You've clearly misunderstood what it was that Monica asked. I suggest you read over the original post again, or better yet, translate it into Portuguese so you can better understand the context of the post in your own language. 

Congratulations, you've ruined a perfectly innocent thread. You've clearly misunderstood what it was that Monica asked.

I ve read again, what Monica asked, and i perfectly understood her question, and you too did. What bothers you in reality, is, that this is a very unconvenient question, since it makes you face the fact that strong atheism is a position without rational support based on the scientific evidence, and philosophical reasons, and religious ones, we have. the more time pasts, the more strong atheism looses rational ground. And its obvious because it is so. But that obviousity is ignored by most atheists, because they are not atheists because they thought about what makes most sense to belive, but because they wish to rool their life without a disturbing God which tells them what is right, what is wrong.....

Lol really/ Is anyone here actually taking this kid seriously? 

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

A libertarian approach to the drug problem

Started by Unseen in Law, Trials, and Decisions. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 16 minutes ago. 4 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 2 hours ago. 41 Replies

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Brett 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

Am I the only one bothered by this?

Started by Lefty G in Small Talk. Last reply by Brett 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service