Don't tell me you never had this question asked to you, subsequently to your, usually politely, explaining to whoever asks about your religion, that you're an atheist and do not believe in any god; you're an atheist and do not believe that a god exists; or whatever combination of words you choose.

That's pretty much how it goes.

Even people who know that atheists do not believe in a god will sometimes still assume they share a common set of beliefs or principles, and have common political tendencies.

"So, what do atheists believe?", is their question.

If you ask me, I've had a wide variety of comebacks, depending on my mood at the moment, most of them facetious, but most likely, after explaining that atheists (as a group) do not have a common set of beliefs, I say that *I* believe in love, in humanity and our good faith... just to keep it simple... because, quite frankly, we don't "believe" in science - we find it verifiable. We don't "believe" in the universe and its wonders, we have seen them through amazing telescopes. I guess you get my point.

So what do you, fellow atheist, believe in, or what do you think is the best answer to this question?

Side note: This discussion is focused rather on the best comeback to the question in it, which in this specific context, is always asked as "opposed to your non-belief in god, what do atheists believe?"

Views: 5588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

... person A does not get to make an unsupported assertion and then, when called on it by person B, demand that person B prove them wrong.

Well, YOU came up with chromosome2, making a unsupported claim with it. So if you want to hold to your assertion, that it is a proof for common ancestry, its up to you to show how. 

I never mentioned chromosome 2 ... if you are going to make an assertion then at least do it right you idiot!

Keke

ok, it was Steve who mentioned it. I guess however  who should be banned here, is YOU, since you are name calling others........

who has brain, does not need to use such artifacts.....

last post to u , btw.....

Well you've demonstrated quite adequately your lack of usable brain function ... you're not needed here, it's a place explicitly for atheists not unthinking fundamentalists! You're a fundy who believes what he believes (some religuious garbage written by technological primitives around 2000 years ago) DESPITE the available evidence.

I think Dylan is prpobably right ... we should all stop talking replying to you. I wonder if there an ignore function?

Keke

Why are you guys still feeding this troll?

You're right ... why hasn't he been banned? I admit I kinda miss those days when I debated fundy's (it was like shooting turkeys at close range ... though unfortunately the turkeys never seem to quite get that they were dead) but it's not like he adds anything of real interest to a place like this.

Keke

I believe in myself

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service