Don't tell me you never had this question asked to you, subsequently to your, usually politely, explaining to whoever asks about your religion, that you're an atheist and do not believe in any god; you're an atheist and do not believe that a god exists; or whatever combination of words you choose.

That's pretty much how it goes.

Even people who know that atheists do not believe in a god will sometimes still assume they share a common set of beliefs or principles, and have common political tendencies.

"So, what do atheists believe?", is their question.

If you ask me, I've had a wide variety of comebacks, depending on my mood at the moment, most of them facetious, but most likely, after explaining that atheists (as a group) do not have a common set of beliefs, I say that *I* believe in love, in humanity and our good faith... just to keep it simple... because, quite frankly, we don't "believe" in science - we find it verifiable. We don't "believe" in the universe and its wonders, we have seen them through amazing telescopes. I guess you get my point.

So what do you, fellow atheist, believe in, or what do you think is the best answer to this question?

Side note: This discussion is focused rather on the best comeback to the question in it, which in this specific context, is always asked as "opposed to your non-belief in god, what do atheists believe?"

Views: 5769

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you stop saying such completely inane bullshit all the time? How do you expect anyone to take you seriously? Are you really that dense or just playing the fool? I suspect a combination of the two.

We are talking about taxonomy, not string theory. It's merely a system of classification that sorts all species into different groups based on their relations and similarities. There is nothing mysterious about it.

We are talking about taxonomy, not string theory. It's merely a system of classification that sorts all species into different groups based on their relations and similarities. There is nothing mysterious about it.

To make the assertion, humans and apes do have the same ancestor, is speculation,  a guess, at best......

As always, you're wrong

Human chromosome 2. QED

And to make the assertion that the bible is the word of god is wishful thinking, period.

Don't believe everything that scientists say.....

Yes, believe in dusty old books written by bronze age idiots. That's a much much better than believing in what scientists have to say about their field of study. Great idea!

How are you & morons like you not extinct yet? In the animal kingdom you surely would have been extinct.

Er ... yeah, we do! They invented the [expletive deleted] classification system. It doesn't exist to suit your (or anyone else's) self-conceit, it exists to aid the classification of animals (of which we are merely another species). Those who have done so have classified us (based on the available evidence) as one of the five known species of Great Ape ... if you disagree I strongly suggest you write to "Nature" or some other reputable evolutionary journal of your concerns. I'm absolutely sure they give them exactly as much time as they deserve.

Keke

Astrology is a good substitute for religion but education is best.

As always, you're wrong

Human chromosome 2. QED

really ? 

http://elshamah.heavenforum.org/t270-human-chromosome-2-evidence-of...

Oh please  ... try and post your own material instead of referring to some BS religious forum! Following over a decade of debating fundy's I won't even check URL's supplied by people like you ... they are invariably irrelevant or in some other way disappointing.

Keke

Yeah, just like most of the theists I've ever debated ... they don't deal with the real world just weird interpretations of otherwise rationally explainable data or their imaginary rubbish.

An aside ... why is he even allowed here? This is an atheist community isn't it? I mean relatively (!!) rational theists sure but don't we have enough to talk about without his idiotic contributions?

Keke

before you demand that i post my material, how about you doing it, showing , what convinces you that chromosome 2 is proof of common ancestry ? please show that your explanation is relevant , and worth of consideration.

Unfortunately (for you) the world doesn't work like that ... person A does not get to make an unsupported assertion and then, when called on it by person B, demand that person B prove them wrong. No, person A (that's YOU in this instance), when making said assumption and getting called on it is required to demonstrate that their assertion is actually reasonable BEFORE person B (that's me) is required to disprove their claim :)

As such I can simply sit here feeling superior in the knowledge that you're full of ... sorry, that you are in error :)

Based on over a decade of "debating" fundy's like you I look forward to you not being able to do so .... somehow I'm sure you'll find a way to avoid it, your kind usually do.

Keke

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Lewal 1 hour ago. 66 Replies

Analyzing Ferguson

Started by Unseen in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Unseen 3 hours ago. 10 Replies

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 9 hours ago. 19 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 11 hours ago. 63 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service