Don't tell me you never had this question asked to you, subsequently to your, usually politely, explaining to whoever asks about your religion, that you're an atheist and do not believe in any god; you're an atheist and do not believe that a god exists; or whatever combination of words you choose.

That's pretty much how it goes.

Even people who know that atheists do not believe in a god will sometimes still assume they share a common set of beliefs or principles, and have common political tendencies.

"So, what do atheists believe?", is their question.

If you ask me, I've had a wide variety of comebacks, depending on my mood at the moment, most of them facetious, but most likely, after explaining that atheists (as a group) do not have a common set of beliefs, I say that *I* believe in love, in humanity and our good faith... just to keep it simple... because, quite frankly, we don't "believe" in science - we find it verifiable. We don't "believe" in the universe and its wonders, we have seen them through amazing telescopes. I guess you get my point.

So what do you, fellow atheist, believe in, or what do you think is the best answer to this question?

Side note: This discussion is focused rather on the best comeback to the question in it, which in this specific context, is always asked as "opposed to your non-belief in god, what do atheists believe?"

Views: 5725

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Evolution is just a tiny aspect of the whole picture which demands for answers. The question begins at the origins of the universe, chemical evolution, evolution of species, and last not least, evolution of mankind, with its amazing ability of speach, consciousness, intelligence, and morality.

You really don’t get it. I was giving just a brief response on why I am an atheist not an all encompassing answer to the question. I don’t want to argue the issue with you here since I think the others that have responded to you have done a great job already. I come here to read the posts and to expand my knowledge. I read some things I agree with, some I don’t (you fit in this category), and some that make me search for more answers. There are a lot of members that have studied the issues much more than myself. I will let them argue the details with you.  

I see you conveniently ignored my assertion that you are not qualified to be in this tread since you are not an atheist. I guess that is because I was correct.   

I've posted a response to Angelo's request for proofs of strong atheism in another thread titled "the Origin of the Universe." Check it out.

*GROWL*

apparently it will have to be a blog post...

Grrr... guidelines, guidelines guidelines...

You shouldn't feed the troll at all

I believe in the infinite stupidity of the religious fundamentalists!! 

I believe in the infinite stupidity of the religious fundamentalists!!

unless, you have a better explanation for our existence, you might examine your position.

Not necessarily! I cannot explain the process behind the double-slit experiment, still reject the claim that it's all about Harry Potter :DD !

I believe in love, empathy, and the pursuit of knowledge for the betterment of humanity.

clear-cut, plain, and simple.

I think there is an element of faith in science but not religious type faith, faith more like trust ... for example I cannot prove the sun in will rise in the east tomorrow but I have faith it will do so based on the fact that it has done so since records began (plus the physics of it are fairly well understood). In addition I have faith in science of the sort that is granted where I don't have specific understanding ... I am a biologist by education, server engineer by trade, I read a lot of stuff about science and I tend to believe reports from trusted source. An example might be advances in quantum mechanics ... I listen, I watch, I read I provisionally accept stuff on a kind of faith but I can't possibly test those things because I have neither the money or the specific skills.

For this reason I don't think we can/should avoid words like "believe" and "faith" (they are parts of the English language after all) but should simply explain what we mean.

Keke

Science depends upon certain presuppositions which are, at first, accepted on faith. Later on, they are proven to be valid presuppositions as the science is able to make verifiable predictions, achieve reproducible results, and so on.

Such presuppositions as:

There is a world out there.

Happenings in the world are subject to physical laws.

I can trust my senses.

My tools are adequate to the job.

And that the universe we observe is inherently explicable ... so far it appears to be so.

Keke

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service