Don't tell me you never had this question asked to you, subsequently to your, usually politely, explaining to whoever asks about your religion, that you're an atheist and do not believe in any god; you're an atheist and do not believe that a god exists; or whatever combination of words you choose.

That's pretty much how it goes.

Even people who know that atheists do not believe in a god will sometimes still assume they share a common set of beliefs or principles, and have common political tendencies.

"So, what do atheists believe?", is their question.

If you ask me, I've had a wide variety of comebacks, depending on my mood at the moment, most of them facetious, but most likely, after explaining that atheists (as a group) do not have a common set of beliefs, I say that *I* believe in love, in humanity and our good faith... just to keep it simple... because, quite frankly, we don't "believe" in science - we find it verifiable. We don't "believe" in the universe and its wonders, we have seen them through amazing telescopes. I guess you get my point.

So what do you, fellow atheist, believe in, or what do you think is the best answer to this question?

Side note: This discussion is focused rather on the best comeback to the question in it, which in this specific context, is always asked as "opposed to your non-belief in god, what do atheists believe?"

Views: 6305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"It seems easyer , to try to attack theism, with such questions, than to explain our world and universe without God"

i believe the entire universe and it's origins can be explained without any god reference. we may not have all the answers at this point, but the answers we do have explain the universe far better than the god of the bronze age sheep herders who wrote the bible does. upon that, i will continue to watch with fascination as science continues to explore and explain how we got here and the wonders the universe contains.

I, as an atheist, believe the Pope seems to have homicidal maniac tendencies.

I tell them that I believe that religion is the greatest form of human ignorance.And that seems to stop them in their tracks.

I tell them that I believe that religion is the greatest form of human ignorance.And that seems to stop them in their tracks.

Present a better way to explain our existence..... empty assertions won't do it......

I guess this topic is not about " why doesnt god heal amputees ".

It seems easyer , to try to attack theism, with such questions, than to explain our world and universe without God. But that is the topic of this thread. How about to explain, what you do believe, and why ?

It's not an attack.
I don't believe, I don't hope and I don't pray.
I know, I plan and I act.
So, your question has no meaning to an Atheist or Deist.
Simply, as a deist, I "believe" in Lady Luck.

"I say that *I* believe in love, in humanity and our good faith... just to keep it simple... because, quite frankly, we don't "believe" in science - we find it verifiable. --- nice quote there!!

Science is far of able to give answers to the most deep and profound questions we have......

Where do we come from. Where do we go ? How can we explain our existence ? Does God exist ? What is the reason for our existece ? Why does evil exist in this world ? 

hi Joseph

please don't argue, but rather than formulate a own answer, i prefere to link a website, which does explain this issue much better, than i could :

http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/evil.html

hi Joseph

it makes some time that i do not occupy myself with your question.......if so , i would participate at  a topic about this issue.

Science is a far better source of information where facts are involved, such as where we came from, than religion. It does a far better job of explaining our existence than that "GOD made us!" The reason for our existence is the circumstances that led up to it. Why does evil exist in this world? WHAT is regarded as evil is fluid and evolves over time just as species evolve. Today we tend to think it's wrong for a person to have multiple spouses. There was no problem with that in the past. In fact, I don't think there's even any scriptural justification for monogamous marriage, only a condemnation for sex outside of marriage.

Science is a far better source of information where facts are involved, such as where we came from, than religion.

So where did

The reason for our existence is the circumstances that led up to it. we come from ?

but that does not give meaning to our existence

. Today we tend to think it's wrong for a person to have multiple spouses. There was no problem with that in the past. In fact, I don't think there's even any scriptural justification for monogamous marriage, only a condemnation for sex outside of marriage.

So in which society it was held as ok, actually as the best thing to do,  to rape and kill small babies ? Or to rape its own wife ? to steal, to lie, to kill, to betray ?

RSS

© 2017   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service