Sorry for the elementary nature of this question.  I'm a recovering former-Christian and after spending decades trying to make Christianity make sense, I've given up.

My wife is pretty much in the same place I'm at.  Recently we were discussing if there is such a thing as a 'good' Christian.  I thought it would be interesting to read some of the thoughts on this here at ThinkAtheist.

This is how I've arrived at this question:  Let's say there's a scale of Christianity, and at the far end of the scale is Fred Phelps, of the Westburo Baptist Church and the famed 'God hates fags' preacher.

So what's on the other end of the spectrum?  Is it tolerant, love-they-neighbor Christianity?  Or is it non-Christianity.

I illustrate my point by saying that nearly all of my Christian friends denounce Fred Phelps, but with every one of them, I can ask them a few questions and they end up defending him.  In other words, it seems that the difference between Fred Phelps and mainstream Christianity is that Fred Phelps is living a life more committed to Christian principles than the average Christian.  If this is the case, then if a person doesn't want to be like Fred Phelps, then the only choice is to not be a Christian.

Does this make sense?

Tags: Christianity, Fred, Phelps

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good point.  Thanks Apple.

I like M's response.  I think there are good people who are Christian (broadly defined), but I think they are good IN SPITE OF being Christian. 

I think Christianity and the other Abrahamic religions are inherently evil.  The god they worship appears to be an immoral, narcissistic psychopath.  Their moral "philosophy" seems designed to encourage sociopathic behavior--and the acceptance of it in others.   It encourages insanity and divides people up based on the flavor of their fantasies and then encourages them to behave intolerantly and violently toward each other... 

I could go on, but I am sure you can see that we have similar ideas.  I don't think you are just in a bitter stage.  I think you are seeing it clearly.  You just need to work out the details in your mind about what it all means.

http://goodatheistarguments.blogspot.com/2010/09/religion-and-moral...

Wow... I just spent the morning perusing this blog.  I don't know if it's your blog or not, but the Masked Offender really should be writing somewhere other than just blogger.com.

Thanks for the links.

The head of my department is a nice bloke, logical mind for the most part, considerate etc

He happens to be a Christian.  I have no idea if he is a good Christian but he is a decent bloke.  Odd that such a logical man believes in a deity though.  *shrug* 

RSS

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service