Nirvana is a  term used to describe the profound peace of mind that is acquired with liberation.  It is the state of being free from suffering.

The word literally means "blown out" (as in a candle) and refers, in the Buddhist context, to the imperturbable stillness of mind after the fires of desire, aversion, and delusion have been finally extinguished. (loosely quoting Wikipedia here...)

So...I'm curious if you all believe that Atheists as a general rule are able to reach this level of liberation? Do you think it's possible for Theists to do so? Do you believe that all/most Atheists reach Nirvana? How do you know when you've reached it? Once you've reached it how do you know you'll be able to stay there? Is it just in your mind or is there more to it? What could be a scientific explanation for the state of Nirvana?....Do you believe that Nirvana is attached to any kind of religious dogma since it's roots are found in Buddhism? Isn't Buddhism a religion? If not, then why not. If you believe Nirvana is rubbish, then tell me why.

Views: 3138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL I meant "navel" not "naval."

Yes, Freud says that aversion means aversion to anxiety.  As for the other part - what if I enjoy ripping the lotus flowers out and stamping on them?  I might do that. 

What if someone enjoys peeping in the windows of 16 year old girls?

Well - lotus flowers don't have feelings. 

But peeping Toms do. And if the peeping Tom isn't discovered, where do her feelings come in?

Damn you.  HE will probably feel some kind of guilty and secretive, along with his corrupt pleasure.  SHE is being violated even though she doesn't know it. 

Unless he's a sociopath. Some people are just wired to escape karma.

Though... admittedly, a sociopathic peeping Tom would be something of an underachiever.

Yes, this is some kind of sticking point. 

The other goal has to be to maximize happiness, as the Dalai Lama points out. 

Him and Tony Robbins should make a baby. Can you even imagine?

I know I've been moaning about having no-one to collaborate with, but it seems I've been collaborating with y'all.  So thanks everyone for letting me discuss this stuff. 

I like to play in the lobby of Nirvana.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service