Nirvana is a  term used to describe the profound peace of mind that is acquired with liberation.  It is the state of being free from suffering.

The word literally means "blown out" (as in a candle) and refers, in the Buddhist context, to the imperturbable stillness of mind after the fires of desire, aversion, and delusion have been finally extinguished. (loosely quoting Wikipedia here...)

So...I'm curious if you all believe that Atheists as a general rule are able to reach this level of liberation? Do you think it's possible for Theists to do so? Do you believe that all/most Atheists reach Nirvana? How do you know when you've reached it? Once you've reached it how do you know you'll be able to stay there? Is it just in your mind or is there more to it? What could be a scientific explanation for the state of Nirvana?....Do you believe that Nirvana is attached to any kind of religious dogma since it's roots are found in Buddhism? Isn't Buddhism a religion? If not, then why not. If you believe Nirvana is rubbish, then tell me why.

Views: 3008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Always be sincere, whether you mean it or not."

I'll never forget the time my fortune read "You like Chinese food." That's the only fortune I got that I am sure was true.

Sadly I have never received one that says 'you like curry'.....;p(

Important to whom?  In what way is an object important, if not through the emotions, effects and/or actions it inspires?  That statement of yours wouldn't even get through a Deepak filter, and that's got a hell of a wide mesh when it comes to navel gazing and fuzzy philosophy.

Come to think of it, wasn't it you, Simon, who was disparaging philosophy on an earlier thread?  If this is your definition of a piece of philosophy, no wonder you think philosophy is crap.

We can also say that we are not our ego.  Our ego is just a set of functions designed to keep us safe, well-adjusted, and comfortable, and is only a small part of us. 

That's good, because I don't know shit.  Seriously. 

It is said that to know that you don't know shit, is the beginning of wisdom - the road is long, Grasshopper, but it begins with the first step.

So, it seems you're here to promote Hinduism(?). Otherwise, why all this verbiage in support of it? Are you a closet Hindu?

Nirvana, Paradise can be made on earth when people start working together, and respecting life on this planet, transparency , openness and the freedom from religion.

"So many Gods, so many creeds,
So many paths that wind and wind,
When just the art of being kind
Is all this sad world needs."
-- Ella Wheeler Wilcox --

That's a minor and Western definition of Nirvana based on a misunderstanding. In Buddhism, Nirvana is the loss of individual selfhood, for in most eastern religions the goal is the opposite of that in western religions. Whereas western religions promote the idea that the person's spirit can go on forever, in the East they aim for the extinction of the individual soul/ego/consciousness into something bigger and unindividuated some call The One. Nirvana is oblivion.

I think they call it Universal Consciousness or the Universal Mind.  Others call it compassion. 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com