Nirvana is a  term used to describe the profound peace of mind that is acquired with liberation.  It is the state of being free from suffering.

The word literally means "blown out" (as in a candle) and refers, in the Buddhist context, to the imperturbable stillness of mind after the fires of desire, aversion, and delusion have been finally extinguished. (loosely quoting Wikipedia here...)

So...I'm curious if you all believe that Atheists as a general rule are able to reach this level of liberation? Do you think it's possible for Theists to do so? Do you believe that all/most Atheists reach Nirvana? How do you know when you've reached it? Once you've reached it how do you know you'll be able to stay there? Is it just in your mind or is there more to it? What could be a scientific explanation for the state of Nirvana?....Do you believe that Nirvana is attached to any kind of religious dogma since it's roots are found in Buddhism? Isn't Buddhism a religion? If not, then why not. If you believe Nirvana is rubbish, then tell me why.

Views: 3230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd be more inclined to correct that to "I experience, therefore I am".

If Nirvana is enlightenment, it's a rather cheap kind of enlightenment if it's here today and gone tomorrow. Where do you get this horseshit? It's not from reading the primary sources. If it is, how about a few quotations?

Good point. I had a buddy that announced one day (over buddy-list email) that he'd had these experiences and was now, therefore, enlightened. We all had a good chuckle about that.

This is true, it's a permanent change in personality. 

Does this still work with people stumbling over themselves with hammers and crowbars?

Lofl. I could follow these instructions much more easily than the usual guided meditation.

Somewhat similar to a conversation last night with a friend. I had gifted a used computer to her, but had made a rather serious over sight in not fully deleting pictures from my last marriage. I think I recovered from this rather serious snafu, by deleting the affending files, and giving her a hug. Atleast she can pursue her job search and manage her details.

As she suggested ''you are not really over her yet are you?" I have more good memories than bad, sadly the worst were compressed into our last week. Life seems such a mixed state of being, knowing what to 'learn from' becomes a quest for integrity.

If 'learning to love well' is possible, then what material should be processed for the necessary training, and how much computation time should be set aside for this education? Life seems short, and the window/eye-of-the-needle seems smaller...

RSS

Forum

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 minute ago. 16 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Virgil 58 minutes ago. 130 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by David Seidman 5 hours ago. 8 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 8 hours ago. 25 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Virgil 11 hours ago. 202 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 0 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service